Q. Are Ovral pills reliable to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Monica Mathur
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Can we rely 100 % on Ovral pills to avoid pregnancy? What are the side effects? Is there any other option with no side effects to avoid pregnancy for two years?

#

Ovral pills (combination of Ethinyl estradiol and Levonorgestrel) are 100 % reliable if taken regularly. They have very few side effects and can be taken same time every day.

If you miss one tablet it is okay, but if missed twice, can lead to failure in that particular month. No other contraceptive method matches it.

You can use the Multiload but only after first pregnancy. It is used for 3 or 5 years depending on the brand.

Implant are also available which is inserted under the skin by a small operation over forearm. The advantage is you do not have to take tablets.

I suggest you do the following tests.

1. Complete blood count.
  2. Blood sugar.
  3. Weight.
  4. Blood pressure.
  5. Ultrasound of the abdomen.

So, choose according to your convenience and future plans. Feel free to consult for any problem.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you, doctor,

Will Ovral affect in the long run, when we plan to have kids? Will it hamper our chances of having a kid?

#

Ovral will not affect your future chance of getting pregnant. You have to just stop taking the tablets whenever you plan the pregnancy.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|