Q. Is it fine to take double dose of Norgeston to control bleeding?

Dr. Mónica Redondo Ania

I am a 35-year-old woman and I have been prescribed the POP contraceptive pill and not the combined due to occasional migraines. I also have varicose veins. I have had very frequent bleeding apart from the periods and am now on the third brand called Norgeston which has not helped to stop the bleeding. I have heard that taking a double dose for a month can help to contain the bleeding. Is that fine to do?

Dr. Mónica Redondo Ania

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have some additional questions for you:

1. How long have you been taking these POP (Progestin-only pills) contraceptive pills? If you just started to take the POP pills and your body is adapting to them, maybe increasing the dosage is an option but if you have been for more than three months with POP pills, I do not think you will get any improvement increasing the dosage.

2. I understand you have had these bleedings with all the three brand names. And what is the reason you had to change brand names? Which kind of secondary effects did you have? Names of the other pills you tried?

3. When you say bleeding, do you mean red blood like period or brownish spotting? Every day? Or randomly?

This kind of bleeding or spotting may be due to many different reasons like the most likely reason is (as you suggested) that you are taking a low dose of Progesterone and if you increase the dosage (two pills a day for two weeks) probably you will get to control it. But we must have other reasons into account, such as a possible early pregnancy (and in this case we are talking about a thread of miscarriage). Please, have a urine pregnancy test done. Sometimes, (no need to worry, but need to verify) it is a polyp or a small fibroid inside the uterine cavity that may not respond to the hormonal control. In this case, my advice is to go to your Gynecologist, because she or he needs to do a vaginal scan to verify the uterine cavity. Sometimes it is another hormonal problem not related to your cycle (thyroid). That may produce this bleeding and if you doublé the Progesterone dosage, you will not get to reduce the bleeding.

|