Q. What is the treatment for COPD?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2020

My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.

#

•  As you said your father has COPD, low oxygen levels are expected when the disease is advanced.
  • COPD is a chronic progressive disease. Inhaler medicines are only for the symptomatic relief.
  • Smoking cessation is the best policy to halt the progression of the disease.
  • Persistent low oxygen levels are not good as it hampers the quality of life. So, oxygen supplement is a must.
  • But, keep the flow rates below 2 L/min as high oxygen washes out the carbon dioxide, which is the stimulus for respiration in COPD patients.
  • There is no other way to increase oxygen saturation without giving oxygen.
  • Simultaneously, he has to continue the other inhaler medicines and tablets. So for now, oxygen is must for him.
  • Even all the tests are normal; there is no alternative to oxygen.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|