Q. What is the treatment for COPD?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Jun 08, 2016

My father has SpO2 level with oxygen is more than 95 and without oxygen is 75-80. He also has COPD. But, all tests are normal like CT scan, USG and x-ray. Please explain.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

•  As you said your father has COPD, low oxygen levels are expected when the disease is advanced.
  • COPD is a chronic progressive disease. Inhaler medicines are only for the symptomatic relief.
  • Smoking cessation is the best policy to halt the progression of the disease.
  • Persistent low oxygen levels are not good as it hampers the quality of life. So, oxygen supplement is a must.
  • But, keep the flow rates below 2 L/min as high oxygen washes out the carbon dioxide, which is the stimulus for respiration in COPD patients.
  • There is no other way to increase oxygen saturation without giving oxygen.
  • Simultaneously, he has to continue the other inhaler medicines and tablets. So for now, oxygen is must for him.
  • Even all the tests are normal; there is no alternative to oxygen.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for chronic sinus infection due to weather?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic sinus infection because of it I will face problem whole winter. What treatment should I take to get relief from cold in these winter months? Shall I make a choice for vaccination?  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now