Q. I am getting recurrent corneal abrasion. What should I do to prevent it?

Dr. Prashant Shukla

I am 26 years old. I got scratch in my cornea (eye) due to nail, basically corneal abrasion. I have got this a month ago and got treated. Now it occurs again. What I should do?

Dr. Prashant Shukla

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Corneal abrasion usually occurs due to a trivial or serious injury to the cornea. It should be treated immediately to avoid a more serious sight threatening complication like corneal ulcer.

Injury to the eye.

Test for dry eyes should also be performed for recurrent corneal abrasions.

Corneal abrasion can be best treated by administration of Vigamox (Moxifloxacin hydrochloride) eye drop one drop every two hourly and Systane eye drops every two hourly (difference between the two eye drops is approximately five minutes). Application of Panthegel eye ointment (Dexpanthenol) along with Zymar (Gatifloxacin) eye ointment at bedtime. It is a good idea to patch the eye for the whole day with a sterilized eye pad to avoid any dust and minimize the blinking rate for an effective and speedy recovery of the abrasion. Avoid cleaning the eye with water, or any unsterilized cloth or whatsoever. If the condition is associated with pain and redness Homide (Homatropine hydrobromide) eye drop once daily along with anti-inflammatory tablets like Combiflam, etc., can be taken twice daily for three days. If the condition does not improve in three days you should consult an ophthalmic consultant for proper examination and treatment of the pathology. Use of contact lenses to be avoided at all times.

Avoid use of water. Patching of the eye with sterilized eye pad for the whole day. Avoid use of contact lenses and eye cosmetics. Use of topical steroids should be avoided at all times.

If the problem does not improve in three days proper slit lamp examination of the eye should be done by a trained ophthalmic surgeon.

| 

My eyes are red and I have a tiny white dot in my eyes. What could this be?

Query: Hello doctor,About a week ago, I started feeling like an eyelash was inside my eye, and I rubbed my eye all day until I reached home. I could see my eye was very red, and around the cornea, there was a tiny white dot, the discomfort did not stop. A week later now I have one more dot, and my eyes are...  Read Full »

Why do my eyes twitch after looking at a computer screen for more than 15 minutes?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 66 year old male, who has a normal eyesight. Last week while I was watching a film on my laptop, suddenly both my eyelids started twitching (fluttering). After that, whenever I look at a computer for more than 15 minutes, the burning sensation starts. The same is true while I read...  Read Full »

Is medical attention necessary for eye pain and tears caused by UV light?

Query: Hello doctor, Last night I looked directly at a 55 watt germicidal UV-C light for less than one minute. In the middle of the night, I woke up with severe pain in the eyes and tears and light sensitivity. After one hour much of the pain went away, but I am still very sensitive to light. I went to an...  Read Full »