Q. Can I take Zylopred drops in stead of Vigadexa for the viral infection in my eye?

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

My eye had a viral infection but the doctor gave me Vigadexa, Flur, and Ara drops and infection has been under control after 10 days of medications. Now, there is no discharge, no pain, no red eye but suddenly my vision from the infected eye get severely blurred. As per the doctor, the vision will be restored after two months. Also, he changed me to Zylopred drop in place of Vegadexa drops. I am confused why it happens and when would my eye be almost healed.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• I would like to know who made the diagnosis of a viral infection?
  • Vigadexa (Moxifloxacin and Dexamethasone) and Zylopred (Gatifloxacin Topical and Loteprednol) both contain steroids and are not recommended for viral infections.
  • I really do not find a reason why these drugs were started in the initial stage.
  • You need to send me prescriptions of your doctor and a closeup picture of your affected eye.
  • If it is viral keratitis, I suggest we may have to start Acyclovir eye ointment and Acyclovir tablet but only after the diagnosis is confirmed and not before that. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

I hope this helps. Regards.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

I have attached photos.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have seen the photos attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

• I think you are suffering from viral uveitis and not from a viral infection. This is a sort of inflammation.
  • Yes, steroids are given in this disease and are tapered off within a month or two.
  • The blurring that you are noticing can be due to the Zylopred (Gatifloxacin Topical and Loteprednol) eye drop because that might cause some dilation of the pupils. But, you need to continue this.
  • Discuss this issue with your doctor. He might give you some other drug.
  • Do not worry as the effect will vain off as the drug is tapered down.
  • It is a good thing that your doctor has started on Acyclovir tablets. This will shield you from any recurrences of the disease.

| 

So, the problem is due to the eye drops you mean? I can see properly sometimes. Also, I have a headache especially in the back of the head after this infection. Is it due to the eye problem? The doctor denied and told me to consult a neurologist.

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Yes, Zylopred (Gatifloxacin Topical and Loteprednol) may cause a slight blurring due to the pupillary dilatation but then too discuss it with your doctor about the alternatives of this drug. It is not advisable for me to change the treatment of one doctor in between the course.
  • No, this infection cannot cause pain at the back of your head. At the most, there can be a pain in the areas around your eye.
  • Pain in the back of your head usually is due to high blood pressure but this is not your age to have high blood pressure as you are too young.
  • Even if you do not have access to a neurologist, you can visit a general physician. He can help you with your headache.

|