Q. Why do my eyes twitch after looking at a computer screen for more than 15 minutes?

Dr. Pooja Bandivadekar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 31, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 66 year old male, who has a normal eyesight. Last week while I was watching a film on my laptop, suddenly both my eyelids started twitching (fluttering). After that, whenever I look at a computer for more than 15 minutes, the burning sensation starts. The same is true while I read for more than 15 minutes. Even while I type this message, there is twitching in both eyes. I cannot concentrate. I use reading glass + 4.75, and I am not diabetic. However, I have mild tinnitus in both ears from last year. MRI and other tests are normal. At present, I am taking some homeopathic medicine for tinnitus, which is working well. Soon after the twitching started, I had mild watery discharge in both eyes. Now it has stopped. I do not have reddishness in eyes and no butterflies and no black spots. I am in a very remote area, where no medical facilities available. I called a doctor, who is known to us, and he advised to use Refresh tears, one drop in each eye five times a day. I am doing that since last three days, and the burning sensation is a bit eased, but the twitching is the same. While I wake up in the morning, I feel better, as the eyes had rest while I slept. I have no problem with the light, but the eyelid (upper) is vehement when I work on the computer. Please advise. Regards.

#

1. Fatigue following excessive usage.
  2. Spontaneous nerve discharge (very common and benign).
  3. Irritation of nerves due to vascular pathology and mass effect.
  4. Hemifacial spasm.
  • Apart from Refresh tears, you can use a low potency anti-inflammatory eye drops like Ketomar (Gatifloxacin and Ketorolac), three times a day, to relieve burning sensation. Local treatment can relieve the continuous twitching.
  • Also, start calcium supplements. Every time the twitching worsens, kindly use cold compresses over and around the eyelid, as this prevents spontaneous discharge of nerves. If the problem continues or worsens, MRI is advisable considering the previous history of tinnitus.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|