Q. Why do I have irritation when eyes water?

Dr. Anand
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2019

When I go to bed, my eyes start watering, mainly the left one. When I get out of my bed and look myself in the mirror, my eyes are red and my eyelids swollen. When I wake up in the morning, I have the same problem of tearing eyes, redness and eyelid swelling. I sleep on the left side, and the left eye is more affected than the right. After I get out of bed, the redness and swelling clears in half an hour to 2 hours, and I keep fine the entire day. I have had 3 conjunctivitis in the left eye in the last 6 months, confirmed by a general doctor all the three times. I have been diagnosed with Xanthelasma on the upper eyelid on the left eye by a general doctor 4-5 years ago. Please help.

#

Xanthelasma is nothing to do with your problems. It is due to high cholesterol levels. Your watering problem may be related to previous conjunctivitis attacks.

Do you have irritation during watering or blurring of vision after conjunctivitis? This is more common in viral conjunctivitis.

You can use artificial tear drops during watering. It may take its own time to complete normalization. However, it is not a serious problem. You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more clear diagnosis and treatment. Do follow-up for any doubts.

I have irritation during watering, and I have blurred vision after watering and irritation, which occur at the same time.

#

Irritation and watering are suggestive of dry eyes or corneal erosion. But, you can continue the same treatment as mentioned before. Use Artificial tear drops daily and anti-allergic eye drops as and when required. Also give cold water wash. You can send pictures of your eyes.

|