Q. Why do I have irritation when eyes water?

Dr. Anand Yattinamani
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 19, 2022

When I go to bed, my eyes start watering, mainly the left one. When I get out of my bed and look in the mirror, my eyes are red, and my eyelids are swollen. When I wake up in the morning, I have the same problem of tearing eyes, redness, and eyelid swelling. I sleep on the left side, and the left eye is more affected than the right. After getting out of bed, the redness and swelling clear in half an hour to two hours, and I am fine the entire day. I have had three conjunctivitis in the left eye in the last six months, confirmed by a general doctor all three times. I was diagnosed with xanthelasma on the upper eyelid on the left eye by a general doctor four to five years ago. Please help.

#

Xanthelasma is nothing to do with your problems. It is due to high cholesterol levels. Your watering problem may be related to previous conjunctivitis attacks.

Do you have irritation during watering or blurring of vision after conjunctivitis? This is more common in viral conjunctivitis.

You can use artificial tear drops during watering. It may take its own time to complete normalization. However, it is not a severe problem. You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more precise diagnosis and treatment. Do follow-up for any doubts.

I have irritation during watering, and I have blurred vision after watering and irritation, which occur simultaneously.

#

Irritation and watering are suggestive of dry eyes or corneal erosion. But, you can continue the same treatment as mentioned before. Use artificial tear drops daily and anti-allergic eye drops as and when required. Also, give cold water wash. You can send pictures of your eyes.

|