Q. Will Cortisone drops used for corneal herpes cause any harmful effect?

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

I (female, 38 years) had my first outbreak of corneal herpes five months back. It was treated incorrectly by a GP first with Cortisone and antibiotics. The eye doctor put me on Acyclovir cream and later added Cortisone drops to prevent scars. After a month, while on vacation (lots of sun and salt water) it came back. I did not recognize the signs at first and thought the redness was only due to irritation. It lingered, so after coming back home, I was put on Acyclovir orally. Two months back, the dye did not show any active ulcers, so I could lower the oral dose to 400 mg and use Cortisone drops again. Last week for a check up the dye showed two active ulcers again.

I am really shocked and scared now. My doctor did not say if it was stromal keratitis or not. Is there a way to tell? I have always had 100 % vision since the lesions are not in front of the pupil. But I do not know why I had a recurrence even while on Acyclovir. Could the Cortisone drops be detrimental? My doctor said to increase the dose back to 800 mg and stop Cortisone.

Is there a way to clear this for now? I do not know if I had two relapses or if this never really healed in the first place. Is there a way to prevent such frequent outbreaks at all? It is difficult not to stress when I fear I will go blind.

Do you have a question on Cortisone or Herpes?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

DOMS., FELLOWSHIP IN COMPREHENSIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY
Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Please do not panic. You will not go blind. I assume this is herpes simplex and you have herpes epithelial keratitis. Epithelium keratitis is usually treated with antiviral and lubricating eyedrop. The steroid has no role in epithelial keratitis. Steroid increases the risk of recurrence. That is why steroid is instilled undercover of antiviral. If there are more than two attacks in a single year, then we may need to continue prophylactic oral Acyclovir for a very long period (maybe years). With recurrent attacks, there may be scars which may blur your vision.

Thank you for your reply. Like I said, I am already taking Acyclovir orally but had a recurrence now while the dose was lowered (and possibly the Cortisone drops were a reason). Could you elaborate on how to tell the difference if it is stromal keratitis or epithelial? My doctor did not say anything about this and I only found out now that there is the stromal version with immune reaction which scares me a lot.

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Yes, Cortisone may be a reason. Slit lamp examination is necessary to differentiate between two variants of herpes stromal keratitis. Stromal immune keratitis will need Acyclovir ointment, steroid eyedrop in tapering doses, oral Acyclovir (to prevent recurrence). Stromal immune keratitis will not resolve without steroid eyedrop.

Shingles (Herpes Zoster): Symptoms, Vaccine, and Management
Article Overview: This article talks about shingles, a viral infection, how it is caused, its symptoms, and how it can be prevented.  Read Article »
Dr. Vasantha K S

Shingles also called as herpes zoster, is an infection of the nerve caused by varicella-zoster virus, the same virus which causes chickenpox. When the virus first attacks a person, it manifests as chickenpox. After the chickenpox infection has run its course, the virus stays dormant (passive) in the ...  Read Article »

Can herpes from lip be passed to genitals by masturbating using saliva?
Query: Hello doctor, I have had this sore on my lip for a week now. It is drying up but before it was drying I masturbated using my saliva and touched the sore. For certain reasons I am aware, this sore could be herpes. My question is could I have passed it to my genitals by touching and rubbing my penis.  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Less likely, but it is possible if the sore on your lips is herpes only. But, chances of this happening are less as infection at lip will give you immunity against current infection. So virus will not be able to multiply at other sites. Also, since lesion is drying, ...  Read Full »

Please tell me the pros and cons of taking Cortisone injection for tennis elbow.
Query: Hi doctor,My mother is 71 years old, and she is suffering from pain in the right arm for more than a month now. She has pain in the elbow, shoulder, wrist, and fingers. She is not able to grip even light objects with the fingers. We consulted an orthopedic doctor, who is suspecting tennis elbow. He ...  Read Full »
Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is very unusual for a 71 year old¬†woman to get tennis elbow, so I am not sure that it is the correct diagnosis. Assuming the diagnosis is correct, then I will recommend waiting and continuing physiotherapy, ultrasound therapy, TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve ...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now