Q. Can herpes from lip be passed to genitals by masturbating using saliva?

Published on Apr 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2019

I have had this sore on my lip for a week now. It is drying up but before it was drying I masturbated using my saliva and touched the sore. For certain reasons I am aware, this sore could be herpes. My question is could I have passed it to my genitals by touching and rubbing my penis.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Less likely, but it is possible if the sore on your lips is herpes only. But, chances of this happening are less as infection at lip will give you immunity against current infection. So virus will not be able to multiply at other sites. Also, since lesion is drying, the virus contents must be low to cause other infection. So overall, I do not think you will get genital herpes.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

I touched the sore when it was raw. Is there still a low-risk chance of spreading?

#

Yes, it is less likely in that case as well. It is unusual for a normal immunocompetent individual to get an infection at two or multiple sites. So, there are fewer chances of getting lesion on genital. Also, are you sure about lesion being herpes? Herpetic lesions are usually small clustered vesicles and painful, which may break to form an ulcer. History of exposure may be there.

Why does my penis go flaccid right before ejaculation?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a minor bike accident four years back. A couple of days later, I realized that I was not getting erections. I consulted a urologist and was diagnosed with ED and was administered medicine (in sachets) to be emptied into a glass of water and consumed. That brought back interest in...  Read Full »

Post herpes attack, I am suffering from Bells's palsy. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Post a severe attack of herpes on the left shoulder, left ear (in and out), chest, and back I am now suffering from Bell's palsy on the left side. Symptoms are as follows: Cannot raise left eyebrow. Cannot tighten left nostril. Cannot move lips (left side). Left eye constantly w...  Read Full »

How to treat genital herpes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have recently contracted genital herpes. I am having an outbreak, which scared me. I have blisters (vesicles) on the penis. I had a blood test done last week and this confirmed it. Please help me.  Read Full »