Q. After using a cosmetic cream, my daughter developed marks on her face. Help.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
Published on Sep 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

This query is for my girl. She is 24 years young. She recently went for an interview and applied a branded cosmetic cream. Her skin tone is fair and extremely sensitive. Overnight, she got ridiculous marks on both sides of the face. Please find attached images. Now, those marks are not brightening and she works in the retail industry and faces clients the whole day. She desperately wants to get rid of them due to her work profile as well as an upcoming party. Currently, she is using Acne-aid bar twice a day (in the morning and before bed). I was prescribed to use Biluma which I passed on to her. She is applying it twice or thrice a day. However, it has paraben and that is a concern for me. What is the best we could do to clear her skin?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I have seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Before applying the cream, did she have acne over the cheeks? Does she have a habit of picking the pimples with her nails? The reason I ask is that there is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, which can be post-acne. The application of cream alone will not lead to this.

Revert with more information to a cosmetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

She had better skin with few marks though. Please find the attached image. She is extremely scared of pimples with or without pain, and I have warned her not to touch the face. So, pricking would be impossible. She will not ever do it. I spoke to her. She confirmed she had applied the BB cream, then compact and lipstick. Currently, her routine post this incident is as follows. In the morning, she washes her face with Acne-aid. If it is sunny, she uses a sunscreen lotion and Biluma over the spots. If it is not sunny, she uses only Biluma. After lunch, she uses wet wipes, then Biluma. At night, she repeats the morning routine before sleeping.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

• Biluma cream is a depigmenting cream. She can apply it on the pigmentations. But, it will take a few months for it to start showing any visible results.
  • Since she has an event coming up, I would advise you to visit a dermatologist, so that laser procedures like spot-peels or spot-laser can be done.
  • Creams cannot penetrate into the deeper levels of skin whereas the above-mentioned procedures can helping in reducing pigmentation. It will give faster and better results.
  • She can continue using the sunscreen, but the facewash can be changed to Rejuglow face wash or Ahaglow face wash.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Patch Testing - an Emerging Need to Prevent Allergic Reaction

Article Overview: In this article, I have discussed the use of patch test in early diagnosis of allergic and photoallergic reaction to certain cosmetics. Read Article

Allergy Specialist

Patch test is a very important, safe and painless investigative tool to confirm allergic contact dermatitis. However, the use of several ingredients in cosmetics and the absence of labelling the ingredients in most of the cosmetics, limit the use of patch test. It also helps in the diagnosis of phot...  Read Article

Acne: Skin Care Tips and Treatment Options

Article Overview: Acne is the most common problem faced by teenagers which has a social as well as psychological impact. It is said that about 90 to 95 % of the world population would have suffered from acne at some point in their life. Acne is very common during 13 to 30 years of age. After 30 years of age, acne is considered as 'adult acne' which has strong hormonal influence. Read Article

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

How Does One Develop Acne? Acne is a disorder of pilosebaceous unit, pilo meaning hair, and sebaceous meaning oil-producing gland. These pilosebaceous glands are densely distributed over the face, neck, chest, back, shoulder, and arms. It also has a genetic component, meaning the appearance/ severi...  Read Article

What should I do to reduce the hyperpigmentation and dark circles under my eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I had undergone a Co2 laser treatment around my eyes about three and half years ago. Now, I am left with dark circles under the eyes along with hyperpigmentation and redness. About one and half weeks back, the doctor prescribed me a cream that has Kojic acid 1%, Glycolic acid 5%, Beta...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and reviewed the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I suggest you a moderately potent topical steroid like Fluticasone propionate 0.05% cream, twice daily for a few days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with h...  Read Full

Ask a Cosmetologist Now