Q. After using a cosmetic cream, my daughter developed marks on her face. Help.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

This query is for my girl. She is 24 years young. She recently went for an interview and applied a branded cosmetic cream. Her skin tone is fair and extremely sensitive. Overnight, she got ridiculous marks on both sides of the face. Please find attached images. Now, those marks are not brightening and she works in the retail industry and faces clients the whole day. She desperately wants to get rid of them due to her work profile as well as an upcoming party. Currently, she is using Acne-aid bar twice a day (in the morning and before bed). I was prescribed to use Biluma which I passed on to her. She is applying it twice or thrice a day. However, it has paraben and that is a concern for me. What is the best we could do to clear her skin?

#

I have seen the attached images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Before applying the cream, did she have acne over the cheeks? Does she have a habit of picking the pimples with her nails? The reason I ask is that there is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, which can be post-acne. The application of cream alone will not lead to this.

Revert with more information to a cosmetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

She had better skin with few marks though. Please find the attached image. She is extremely scared of pimples with or without pain, and I have warned her not to touch the face. So, pricking would be impossible. She will not ever do it. I spoke to her. She confirmed she had applied the BB cream, then compact and lipstick. Currently, her routine post this incident is as follows. In the morning, she washes her face with Acne-aid. If it is sunny, she uses a sunscreen lotion and Biluma over the spots. If it is not sunny, she uses only Biluma. After lunch, she uses wet wipes, then Biluma. At night, she repeats the morning routine before sleeping.

#

• Biluma cream is a depigmenting cream. She can apply it on the pigmentations. But, it will take a few months for it to start showing any visible results.
  • Since she has an event coming up, I would advise you to visit a dermatologist, so that laser procedures like spot-peels or spot-laser can be done.
  • Creams cannot penetrate into the deeper levels of skin whereas the above-mentioned procedures can helping in reducing pigmentation. It will give faster and better results.
  • She can continue using the sunscreen, but the facewash can be changed to Rejuglow face wash or Ahaglow face wash.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

|