Q. I have cough with phlegm, runny nose, and cold. Do I need an antibiotic?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 23, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 10, 2020

I have a concern with regards to my anxious condition. For the past few days, I have been experiencing cough with phlegm with a runny nose due to colds. I just wanted to knew what should I do. Do I need to take an antibiotic? Kindly guide me.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement you have been suffering from itchy throat, runny nose due to colds, cough with phlegm, and headache for the past few days.

You have not mentioned here about the color of your phlegm. If the whitish color of phlegm turns into yellowish, greenish or rusty color then it indicates infection of the respiratory tract. Antibiotic coverage can be needed to subside the infection. As you are suffering from an itchy throat, you can take antibiotic like Azithromycin once daily for five to seven days to prevent any secondary infections.

For your runny nose, cough with phlegm, headache, etc., you can take Fexofenadine and Montelukast once daily for 10-15 days with painkillers like Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, or Naproxen etc. Gargle with salt mixed lukewarm water three or four times daily along with steam inhalation mixed with Menthol two to three times daily.

| 

Can I use this prescription for purchase at the pharmacy? We are not actually accommodated if we do not have a doctor's prescription. Would it be fine if you can provide me a prescription with notification and acknowledgment that I once consulted with you my health condition? I will truly appreciate your response.

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

Actually it is the chat room. We can provide the prescription through the consultancy method of icliniq. You can contact the icliniq team and they can help you in this regard. You can take the medications as follows:

Tablet. Zithromax 500 mg 0+0+1 for 5-7 days.

Tablet Telfast 120/180 mg 0+0+1 for 10-15 days.

Tab.Singulair 10 mg 0+0+1 for 10-15 days.

Tab.Panadol 1 tablet after a meal in case of headache.

|