Q. I have mucus in throat and wet cough without throat pain or fever. What could cause this?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

I have mucus on my throat resulting in wet cough especially at wake up. I observed no pain on the throat, fever, and sneezing. I am not taking any medicine but I am regularly taking steam, ginger, or black tea. I getting relief only in the chest but not effective on the throat. Kindly recommend medication.

#

You are probably having what we call as allergic pharyngitis where you usually do not have classical allergic issues such as sneezing, watering from the nose, but only having mucus and phlegm formation in the throat which causes stickiness, irritation, and sometimes cough.

What can be done?

1. Avoid dust, smoke, or any irritative substance entering into the nose by wearing an n95 mask.

2. Salt water gargling at least 8 to 10 times a day for two weeks.

3. Keep sipping boiled warm water every two hours.

4. Avoid cold, spicy, and oily food for the next one month.

5. Any gastric issues have to be treated in a proper manner.

You can take tablet Allegra M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) one tablet two times a day for 10 days, tablet Mucomix / Mucinac 600 mg one tablet twice daily for 10 days.

I had taken the medicine and now feel quite relaxed. Mucus has been cleared from the chest. However, mucus is still in the throat resulting in minor cough especially in the morning. Kindly suggest a complete cure.

#

It is good to know that you have had some relief.

You can continue Mucomix / Mucinac 600 mg one tablet two times a day for 10 days, and Pan D one tablet once daily before breakfast for 10 days. Do salt water gargles 8 to 10 times a day and should be continued for the next 1 month. Keep sipping on boiled warm water every two hours during the day.

Wearing an n95 mask even indoors is the key to avoid dust and other irritative substances from entering into the nose and throat. If irritative substances enter into your throat, you will end up producing more mucus and the problem will start again.

| 

I used cocaine and now I have cough and phlegm with itchiness in throat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor,I used cocaine for six months but for four months, I have coughs and phlegm especially in the morning. I never had throat pain. It just feels itchy. I saw a doctor who gave me allergy spray with Cortizon but I took it for just one month. I keep drinking alcohol and cold drinks which makes ...  Read Full »

I have fever, weakness and throbbing of head. Do I have dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, On 16th evening, I suddenly fell sick with symptoms like fever, sudden fatigue, chills, body aches (chest, legs, shoulders, head, eyes, almost all body). I was good during the day except for an itching in the throat. The weakness was so severe that I could not even walk a few steps. I fel...  Read Full »

Dust and perfume make me cough. How can I get better?

Query: Hello doctor,Since many years, I am facing a sinusitis problem. When I catch the flu, it gets worse. This time, I caught the flu twice this month. The sinustis got worse and I visited a doctor who prescribed me with a course of Fexet, Klaricid, and Ventek. He said that I need to take Ventek for thr...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»