Q. For the past six months, my throat is dry and hurts. What could it be?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2020

I am a 23-year-old female. I am 5.3 feet tall and weight 165 lbs. I have been having problems inside my throat for the past six months. It is dry and hurts. Also, I keep touching the glands every time it bothers me. I have retested for allergies, and I take Claritin D and still have these symptoms. Sometimes it feels like something is in there when I swallow, and sometimes my ears itch deep inside. I have even been checked for my thyroid because I experienced soreness on the front of my neck.

#

As per your history, it seems to be allergic pharyngitis. Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the back of the throat. It gets aggravated by exposure to allergens like cold, dust, pollens, and acid reflux. Make sure you do not have acid reflux as without treating the reflux, it is tough to get relief from the symptoms.

Treatment:

1) Tablet Singulair (Montelukast 10 mg) one tablet once daily for two weeks.

2) Tablet Xyzal (Levocetirizine 5 mg) one tablet daily at night for two weeks.

3) Gargle with Povidone-Iodine 1% 10 ml mixed with warm water three times a day for seven days.

4) Steam inhalation two times a day.

5) Avoid foods and drinks that initiate or aggravate your symptoms.

For pain over the thyroid region: Do USG (ultrasonography) of the neck.

I hope this will help you.

|