Q. For the past six months, my throat is dry and hurts. What could it be?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 07, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 10, 2020

I am a 23-year-old female. I am 5.3 feet tall and weight 165 lbs. I have been having problems inside my throat for the past six months. It is dry and hurts. Also, I keep touching the glands every time it bothers me. I have retested for allergies, and I take Claritin D and still have these symptoms. Sometimes it feels like something is in there when I swallow, and sometimes my ears itch deep inside. I have even been checked for my thyroid because I experienced soreness on the front of my neck.

#

As per your history, it seems to be allergic pharyngitis. Pharyngitis is the inflammation of the back of the throat. It gets aggravated by exposure to allergens like cold, dust, pollens, and acid reflux. Make sure you do not have acid reflux as without treating the reflux, it is tough to get relief from the symptoms.

Treatment:

1) Tablet Singulair (Montelukast 10 mg) one tablet once daily for two weeks.

2) Tablet Xyzal (Levocetirizine 5 mg) one tablet daily at night for two weeks.

3) Gargle with Povidone-Iodine 1% 10 ml mixed with warm water three times a day for seven days.

4) Steam inhalation two times a day.

5) Avoid foods and drinks that initiate or aggravate your symptoms.

For pain over the thyroid region: Do USG (ultrasonography) of the neck.

I hope this will help you.

| 

Can soreness in throat and skin redness after sex be due to HIV infection?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old white male, I had protected intercourse vaginal and anal and unprotected oral sex, vaginal and anal exactly 17 days back. Eight days after I had an itch in my throat that practically made the corner of my mouth pucker for a day or two and lost my appetite. Around the...  Read Full »

I have sore throat with difficulty in swallowing and bleeding in tonsils. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a sore throat since this Wednesday. My dad is a doctor and he gave me Augmentin every 12 hours. The pain has not gone yet, but I feel like an object anytime I swallow. It hurts and it feels dry and sore. Just on the left side, it is been a few days but nothing new yet. It hurts...  Read Full »

Other than acid reflux, what can cause inflammation and irritation of throat?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been having some issues with my throat and esophagus. I have seen an ENT specialist and he said that I had a lot of inflammation in my esophagus, but did not seem to say anything else other than it may be the acid reflux. But, the way I feel and a lot of the other symptoms that have...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»