Q. I am suffering from throat gurgling. What could be the reason?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

I am getting anxious about my health. I just wish you to look at a photo I have attached. It is a photo I got from the internet, which looks very similar to me. I have no other symptoms. I have always had the slight red marks, but have never noticed them. Please help.

#

Those represent the cobblestone appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall and it is in early stage.

• There is nothing to worry. Such appearance of posterior pharyngeal wall is usually seen in chronic allergic pharyngitis. It may also be seen in asymptomatic people and chronic gastric reflux.
  • There is no treatment needed unless symptoms arise.
  • If anxious, you can use mouthwash or salt water gargles once daily at night for two weeks. It may help in reducing them, but not guaranteed.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I do suffer from gurgling in my throat when I swallow saliva, which could be reflux. It seems to ease off when I relax. What could it be?

#

In chronic reflux laryngitis or pharyngitis, arytenoids (the bones of your voice box) swell up. They are felt whenever you swallow. Patients usually have a feeling of lump, foreign body sensation, throat irritation, etc.

There is nothing much to worry about it. The best treatments available are as follows.

1. Ignore the feeling in throat.
  2. Anti-reflux or antacids for three weeks.
  3. Lifestyle changes, including no smoking or alcohol, less stress and minimum gap of two hours between dinner and sleep.

I meant to say that the gurgling is in my throat. Is it the same you have mentioned above?

#

Yes. The other possible causes because of which you can have gurgling are pharyngeal pouch and over patulous auditory tube.

• Pharyngeal pouch, which can store food particles, can act as reservoir and produce gurgling. It is rare. As you would have complained me of halitosis, it is not possible.
  • It may be due to over patulous auditory tube making you hear the gurgle even it is not. In such case, your clinical picture would have been different with the primary symptom being something else.
  • Gurgling is also seen in patients with reflux.

I am also suffering from tonsil stones. What to do?

#

Tonsil stones are commonly seen and not much to worry about this condition.

These stones form because there are spaces in tonsil available to be occupied. So, food particles and other vegetative material from oral cavity get deposited and act as a nucleus. Over these, stones are formed.

Therefore the treatment options are,

1. Remove the spaces - Get tonsils removed by surgery.
  2. Prevent formation of stones in those spaces, by doing oral rinses and gargles after every meal. Even drinking water can be used for this purpose, with the idea of clearing the spaces.

|