Q. What medicines can treat an intermittent cough and cold in a kid?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

My 2-year and 8-month-old daughter is having a cold and cough for the last two weeks. Earlier I gave her Maxtra and Levolin for five days. She had a cough for two to three days and it got settled. But, the cold was still there. So, I gave her Xyzal for three days with improvement in the cold and now again the cough has started. She is coughing in every 30-minute interval. What shall I do? Previously, she was down with typhoid fever one year ago and the immunity is very low now.

#

A frequent cough and cold are common in children in this age group unless it is associated with a high-grade fever. Do not panic.

I suggest you give her some Mucolitic (Carbocisteine) syrup and an antiallergic or an antihistaminic syrup. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

In case there is an associated fever, consider an evaluation with a pediatrician before starting any antibiotics.

For more information consult a pediatric allergy asthma specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pediatric-allergy-asthma-specialist

|