Q. Will antibiotics affect the sputum report?

I have cough for about a week. It is a mild one with a bit sore throat. So, I did my sputum test in a laboratory and the following are the results I received today. Acid fast bacilli smear - acid fast bacilli not detected. In sputum culture and sensitivity, culture - negative, organism - no pathogen isolated. Normal respiratory flora grown after 48 hours on incubation at 37 degree Celsius. Many gram positive cocci seen in gram stain. Few pus cells seen and few epithelial cells are also seen. Please explain me what is the exact result from the above details. Do I have any illness? Is there any need to take medicine?

#

We are here to help you.

• Your sputum stain says that you have lower respiratory tract infection. However, culture is negative which can occur due to antibiotic consumption prior to sputum collection.
  • Treatment would be based on your symptoms. Please mention what symptoms you are having at present.

Revert back with the asked details to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I took antibiotics before a month. Can it alter the medical results? And I took Glycomet tablet and Ulysses plus tablet before one week of sputum collection. Will it have any effect in the medical results? As of now I am having cough and heaviness of my body. I do not have other symptoms, but two weeks back I had slight body temperature. A small opaque region soft tissue was found in the right lower zone when chest PA x-ray was taken. What is that?

#

• Yes, prior antibiotic can alter the results. If you are asymptomatic now then you may not take any medicine.
  • If you are worried then the best way is to get repeat sputum for gram stain done. If it still shows gram positive cocci, then you may go ahead with the antibiotic course.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|