Q. I am having dry cough for more than a week. Please suggest a medicine to reduce it.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Published on Nov 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

I am having a dry cough for more than one week. I tried all the medicines, but still, I have heavy cough. Is there any other way to reduce it?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Dry cough can be associated with a lot of causes such as LRTI (lower respiratory tract infection), asthma, allergy, etc.

If you have associated fever, then I suggest you taking antibiotics Augmentin (Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid) 650 mg twice daily for five days, after food.

If you do not have a fever, I will advise you to take syrup Ascoril (Ambroxyl Hydrochloride) two teaspoons up to three times daily, depending on the severity of the symptoms. You must remember that for any cough syrup, you need to wait for 30 minutes after taking medicine, and you cannot consume any water or have any food in that period. It has to act on the throat.

You can also take Claritin (Loratadine) 10 mg one tablet at bedtime for three days. I hope this helps.

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaishali Mehta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I totally understand your concern regarding cure of allergies. Unfortunately, allergy of the nose cannot be totally cured, but definitely can be prevented. I would recommend the following:1. Get an allergy skin test done; so as to identify the allergen.  Avoiding the a...  Read Full

My allergy does not subside with 10 mg Cetirizine. Should I take 20 mg?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been taking 10 mg Singulair and 10 mg Cetirizine for five years for allergies, asthma, and Lyme. I just got two more kittens, and the medicines do not work anymore. I am miserable and desperate. I asked my doctor to give me 20 mg of Cetirizine and something else because I think ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please get an allergy testing done, either a skin prick or a blood comprehensive. Next, based on the allergens you are sensitive to, we can advise you on further course of action. With respect to getting tolerant to Cetirizine 10 mg, why not try Fexofenadine 120 or 180...  Read Full

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kartik Sood
Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your symptoms, you are suffering from bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis, but you need to confirm this by doing a spirometry with reversibility test. Asthma is a disease related to hypersensitivity of our respiratory system to some allergens which cause tri...  Read Full

Ask a Family Physician Now