Q. I have a dry cough even after recovering from the COVID-19 infection. Why?

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 11, 2020

I was tested COVID-19 positive last month, and my HRCT score was 24. I still have a dry cough. What precautions should I take in the near future?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you had been suffering from pneumonia and had become COVID-19 positive.

Your HRCT (high resolution computed tomography) chest show patchy, predominantly peripheral areas of ground-glass opacities, septal thickening, and early fibrosis involving both lungs consistent with COVID-19 pneumonitis. So, you had COVID-19 pneumonia.

You have not mentioned here the medications that had been taken by you at that time. It is ideal to do a repeat HRCT of the chest after 14 days later to assess the disease. Now you are suffering from a chronic cough. So, first of all, I should take measures to cure your chronic cough. You can take Azithromycin, Fexofenadine, Montelukast, etc., to subside your chronic cough. You can also undergo a lung function test to examine your present lungs' status.

It is assumed that antibodies against COVID-19 will develop in an affected patient after his recovery. That will give him protection for at least two to three months against an infection.

You can abide by the general rules like using a face mask, keeping yourself six-meter away from a person, avoiding densely populated areas, washing hands and faces after coming from outside, using hand sanitizer, etc.

Is it critical as my HRCT score is 24?

#

HRCT score of 24 out of 25 means severe. Clinical features or sufferings of that time should be correlated with your HRCT report. Your scoring was according to your lungs involvement on radiological view. After recovering from COVID-19 infection, your repeat HRCT report can say about your recovery status and present lung condition. If you have not yet done a repeat HRCT, then you have to do it. Because pneumonia can be associated with various complications or consequences, so do an HRCT of the chest to exclude post pneumonia complications.

|