Cow's Milk Protein Allergy

How to manage iron deficiency anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, My child, who is 6 years old, felt sick on his birthday this year (one week ago), accusing fatigue. He looks pale and vomiting. We took him for blood tests. His red blood cells were way below normal 3.8; the doctor sent us to an oncology hospital suspecting leukemia. Later, they said it ...  Read Full »

Dr. Mubashir Razzaq Khan

Hematologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Anemia is common in malabsorption diseases (cow milk intolerance in your case). Iron deficiency takes six months to develop in case of reduced intake or absorption or loss via blood. They are probably doing endoscopy or colonoscopy because of milk intolerance to rule ou...  Read Full »

Can cow's milk be a reason for frequent vomiting in the newborns?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby vomited for ten days after birth. Now he is 11 months old. He does not take any solid food, not even paste-like solid food. And he still vomits sometimes after or during feeding milk. Any solid food also makes him vomit. What to do?  Read Full »

Dr. Sudhakar Palanisamy

Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, your baby weight is relatively fine for 11 months. So I feel there is not a severe problem. There are three reasons for your complaints. 1. Overfeeding - usually starts of a baby on bottle feed before six months. And this can continue even after six month...  Read Full »

Does cow's milk allergy cause blood in stools and high eosinophils?

Query: My 5 month old baby girl has been showing blood in the stools for the past 75 days. We already went to 3 different gastro pediatricians, who all tend to say is cow milk allergy. My baby is exclusively breastfed. Up to now she has never presented any other symptons. Very calm, regular weight, regul...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: The high number of eosinophils do indicate cows milk protein allergy. You will need to start the child on soy based formula and observe. The child needs to be on only the soy formula and nothing else. This should be done for 2 weeks atleast and the baby should be observed for any changes in the bloo...  Read Full »

Why do I get recurrent stomach upset with no problem in endoscopy and colonoscopy?

Query: Hello doctor, My stomach gets upset when I drink milk, orange juice, or even yogurt which is normally good for an upset stomach. I cannot digest banana, corn flakes, and many other foods, and it has been going on for a long time. I have been to many doctors and they had endoscopy and colonoscopy te...  Read Full »

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand you must be very upset about your condition. So you see the diets you are kind of allergic to are containing milk protein. Yes, there are some diets that contain no milk, but the diet that predispose you to have stomch upset will disturb your stomach...  Read Full »

Why do infants get constipated easily?

Query: Hello doctor, My 8 month old son is having eczema issues since he was around 2 months old. I presume because of allergies. We have tried many things to find what causes his issues, but still have not got it to go away long term. My main concern is that he has had issues with digestion for the past f...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is not unusual for infants to have constipation and milk protein allergies are also not that uncommon. You can try Similac has a product by the name of Similac Alimentum; they are broken down milk proteins. You can also try soy milk. You have to be very careful abou...  Read Full »

What causes stomach pain and constipation in an 18-month-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My 18 month old daughter has had problems since birth and I am desperate for a second opinion. The history is complicated trying to explain the symptoms but I will do my best. It was detected polyhydramnios in pregnancy. My daughter born at 36 weeks 4 days through emergency C-section due...  Read Full »

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Specialist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Medical Gastroenterologist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All these episode are quite disturbing the baby. But the things are meshed together, at a point of time we need to stay on one diagnosis rather than jumping to one another. One thing is common here in each episode, she has severe constipation and intermittent dia...  Read Full »

Cow's milk does not seem to suit my 1 year old baby. What can I give her instead?

Query: Hello doctor, Our baby girl is about 1 year and one month old. We just started giving cow milk two days back. A packet of A2 unpasteurized milk was bought, boiled and cooled down. We gave about 300 ml per day once. Her motion looks affected a little. It is not solid. At night, she suddenly started c...  Read Full »

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unpasteurized milk is not advisable to be given, as pasteurization is required to kill all the bacteria or germs in the milk. I think the baby does have some issues with cow milk and is crying due to colic (abdominal pain). Formula milk (any stage 3) is always better t...  Read Full »

My baby often has loose stools. What medicines should I give him?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 6 months old son. He often suffers from loose stools. I do not know why it happens. My friend suggested I give Mathulai manappagu. Please share your thoughts.  Read Full »

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query. Giving medicine is not the ideal solution to his problem. Firstly, try to find out the exact cause behind the loose motions. Because, once you find out the exact cause, it will be easy for you to avoid that causative factor and the loose motion...  Read Full »

My 7 months old baby poops more than 20 times. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 7 months old. She keeps pooping. She at least poops 20 diapers a day. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. A baby of 7 months old passing stools of around 20 times a day is not normal. There are some diseases which can cause this type of symptom. The possibility of celiac disease should be ruled out. In celiac disease, there is an allergy to glu...  Read Full »