Q. My 5-month-old baby has blood in stools and high eosinophils. Is it cow's milk allergy?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 5 month old baby girl has been showing blood in the stools for the past 75 days. We already went to 3 different gastro pediatricians, who all tend to say is cow milk allergy. My baby is exclusively breastfed. Up to now she has never presented any other symptons. Very calm, regular weight, regular urine, regular stools (besides the blood). We've been doing elimination diet for the past 62 days, for dairy and soy and derivates. Still, the blood is still present. We did ultrasound, everything is perfect. We did blood and stool tests, nothing shows, besides a high number of "eosinofilos". What should we do?

# The high number of eosinophils do indicate cows milk protein allergy. You will need to start the child on soy based formula and observe. The child needs to be on only the soy formula and nothing else. This should be done for 2 weeks atleast and the baby should be observed for any changes in the blood in stools.
IF YOU FEEL THAT THE ELIMINATION DIET HAS NOT WORKED REPEAT THE STOOL ROUTINE AND MICROSCOPY AGAIN. IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE DIET, THE EOSINOPHILS WILL STILL BE VERY HIGH, ELSE THEY WOULD BECOME LESSER OR ZERO.

| 

Are there any home remedies for blood in stools with constipation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old and I have a problem of blood in the stool for two days. I do not feel pain and any other symptoms but sometimes constipation exist and my long toilet interval is once every two days (most common). Sometimes rarely on every day or three days interval. Are there any...  Read Full »

Why do I have breathlessness while walking?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a normal healthy individual with a sedentary lifestyle. I weigh 67 kg and my height is 165 cm. I am experiencing some breathlessness of late when I walk. Hence, I am trying to understand if there is something wrong in me. My annual medical checkup (over the last 3 years) show my c...  Read Full »

My baby often has loose stools. What medicines should I give him?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 6 months old son. He often suffers from loose stools. I do not know why it happens. My friend suggested I give Mathulai manappagu. Please share your thoughts.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»