Q. My dad's CK level is 914. Does he have a heart problem?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

My dad had a bypass eight months ago. Now the creatine kinase level is 914. He does not have a chest pain or any other problems. We found this on a routine blood test. Is it because of a heart condition?  He is currently taking medications for his heart, high blood pressure, and diabetes. I am attaching his latest reports.

#

I saw the files (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• If his CK-MB (creatine kinase-MB) is normal, then his heart should be fine. CK-MB is more specific for the heart than plain CK.
  • Also, his bilirubin levels are elevated. So, I would suggest a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist opinion.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thanks for your reply. Can you comment about his troponin I levels?

#

Yes, it is elevated and more specific for cardiac damage. Your dad is diabetic and probably he will not experience any angina.

My suggestion is to get an echocardiogram done to see if there are any new wall motion abnormalities, suggesting a coronary event in a particular territory.

Also get an ECG (electrocardiogram) done to rule out any arrhythmias. Very rarely extreme exertion causes troponin I elevation. I am saying this because of the high creatine kinase values which can occur with muscle destruction.

|