Q. Is an ER visit necessary for high creatinine and decreased urine output?

Dr. Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 14, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had a blood workup done yesterday in preparation for a chemotherapy port removal. My creatinine level was 1.9 mg/dL at that time, and it has been within normal range before that. I had significantly decreased urination the day before but had a lot of sweating the preceding day. I had to avoid food and water for eight hours before my port removal procedure. My urine output and fluid intake are back to normal since yesterday afternoon. I do have uncontrolled diabetes, history of high blood pressure and some edema in my ankles. I currently take Avapro, Imdur, Plavix, Metformin and Insulin for the heart problem and diabetes.

A nurse called late today and suggested me to visit ER, because of the creatinine level and the decreased urine output for that one day. Is a trip to the ER necessary? Or can I wait for two days and go to a doctor's office then? I am on a limited income so I would rather avoid the expense of the ER, if it is not necessary.

#

• If you have urine output less than 500 ml persistently, then you may need help early.
  • If you develop breathlessness, severe cough, fever or flank pain, then you should visit an ER.
  • Avoid eating dry fruits, banana, fruit juices, etc., before being evaluated for electrolytes.
  • Restrict fluid intake to less than 1500 ml until you get re-evaluated.
  • Continue your diabetes and hypertension medication. There is a need for some adjustment to Metformin due to raised creatinine, so consult your doctor.
  • If you watch yourself and have no breathlessness, you can wait and see a nephrologist. If any problem arises, then visit an ER. Also, creatinine and potassium levels need to be repeated.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|