Q. Does C-section increase the risk of adhesions in a Crohn's disease patient?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 13, 2021 and last reviewed on: Mar 10, 2021

I have Crohn's disease and I am taking Infliximab for it. My large bowel is strongly affected with hundred ulcers over there. Luckily, Infliximab worked for me and I did not have surgery. Now I am pregnant and I am wondering about C-section. I do not want to have any tear. I do not want to take risks and make my Crohn's disease worse by doing a C-section. Is there any high risk of adhesions and scar tissue after undergoing it? I heard that the bowel can get stuck into the uterus. Please suggest.

#

C-section (Caesarean section) is done when there is a need. You cannot avoid C-section due to other issues. You will have adhesions after doing abdominal surgery and the bowel will get adhere to each other or to the surgical area after undergoing surgery. This is completely unavoidable. The adhesion will be little more in the bowel with Crohn's disease. This can affect C-section if the lower part of the colon is affected. But still, you should go for C-section without thinking of future consequences.

|