Q. Kindly suggest treatment options for intestinal stricture other than surgery.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
I want to ask someone about alternative treatment options for a high risk intestinal stricture for a patient with crohns disease. Crohns disease has been diagnosed for around 15 years (she is 31). She currently takes azathioprine. I am not sure the part of the bowel unfortunately. I believe it is single stricture. She has had severe pain which comes in waves. She has had a CT scan which shows the stricture and she has had it before. Previously the Dr has done endoscopic balloon dilation but now they are not sure if that is an option because it was quite hard last time and also because she is unwell and may not be able to do bowel prep. Basically I just wanted to check there are no alternatives to surgery because they said surgery will result in a stoma which we really want to avoid. I am happy to pay if there are more expensive options but it hard to ask the DR that.
I don't expect you to diagnose or suggest treatments for it given my lack of detail. But I just want to know if there are any alternatives I can ask about especially if cost is not a factor.
# Hello..I welcome you to icliniq.
Well surgery is the last resort, and it may not end up in stoma formation. Most commonly a resection and anastomosis of the bowel is performed and the lumen is continued without stoma formation. however stoma formation is a possvlibity but not a rule.
Biologics like infliximab if not effective vedolizumab are alternative options, can work in stricturing disease without necessiating surgery.
Lastly if these above medications are tried and nothing helpful, re attempt to endoscopic balloon or metallic stent is a good option. You can try asking others experts opinion on this if your current physician is not positive about it.

| 

How long should Humira be taken?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 55 year old male. I have been suffering from ankylosing spondylitis for at least 15 years. With very limited mobility and severe pain, I was under continuous medication and was taking Remicade (Infliximab) for the last five years. Till recently, Remicade was working well and my pai...  Read Full »

What causes psoriasis?

Query: Need treatment for psoriasis permanent cure. What are the different types of treatments available. What causes psoriasis? What precautions are needed to maintain lifetime non reoccurance of psoriasis. Ointments for skin patches, hair lotion n shampoo for skin flakes n hair loss and vitamins ,moistu...  Read Full »

How reliable are HIV combi Elecsys results?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease before years and I have been on Humira 40 mg every two weeks. I had unprotected sex with two different girls a year ago. I have had done three HIV tests and one HIV combi Elecsys at 10 months from the last possible ex...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»