Q. Can I get removable palate expander for crossbite?

Answered by
Dr. Geethanjali. S. S
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

Hello doctor,

I have a crossbite problem. I would like to cure it. What should I do? I have read about removable palate expander. Can it be the solution for my problem?



Welcome to

  • Crossbite can occur in the front teeth as well as back teeth or even sometimes due to variation in the jaw development. Also, the severity of cross bite that is, the number of teeth involved depends on the success of the treatment.
  • Only a removable appliance could not be expected to bring amazing results. Braces treatment combined with removable appliance would be the best.
  • Palatal expansion is done only at growing stages, which is before 18 years usually. Hence, an orthodontist consultation will give you a detailed treatment planning to correct the crossbite.
  • Even though the braces treatment takes up to one year, the results are more reliable and successful in the long run.
  • Therefore, I advise you to visit your nearby orthodontist (braces specialist) and analyse if you got teeth or jaw discrepancy and go ahead with the treatment.

For further information consult a dentist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Will tooth removal for braces cause any shifting of other teeth?

Hello doctor, I have a misalignment and mild crowding of teeth in upper jaw and have bite issues ... I want to know whether there will be any shifting of teeth or any other complications in the ...   Read full

Indiscriminate Use of Mouthwash Alone is not the Solution for Halitosis

.. people never care about the underlying cause of bad breath, they just use mouthwash and think "all is well". This article stresses on the fact that mouthwash alone is not a solution for bad breath .. ...   Read full

I have jaw discomfort and misaligned bite. How to correct them?

.. temporomandibular joint X-ray first. It sounds like a TMJ problem called a lockjaw. Depending upon the degree of damage, you require treatment. The most common solution is wearing a splint every day to prevent a rough sliding of joints. Since you ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Relation Between Enamel Hypoplasia and Dental Caries
Enamel hypoplasia is due to incomplete or defective formation in the organic matrix, which forms the first layer of the ...  Read more»
Methods to Increase Breast Milk Production
Several measures can help mothers in increasing their breast milk production. Find out the correct way to breastfeed thr...  Read more»
Ingrown Hair: How Can You Prevent and Treat It
An ingrown hair is a hair strand that grows back into the skin after a clean shave or waxing. It appears as a raised dar...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dentist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.