Q. I have jaw discomfort and misaligned bite. How to correct them?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
Published on Nov 11, 2018

I am 18 years old. I have jaw discomfort and a misaligned bite. I have not removed my wisdom tooth, and I have a habit of popping the jaw. I usually put my palm over the jaw near my ear, and there will be a pop. I have a gum tissue behind my molar, and I am unable to close my left side of my mouth completely. Please give me a solution.

#

Check your temporomandibular joint X-ray first. It sounds like a TMJ problem called a lockjaw. Depending upon the degree of damage, you require treatment. The most common solution is wearing a splint every day to prevent a rough sliding of joints. Since you are 18 years old, it is not mandatory to remove all the wisdom tooth. But if these cause the joint discomfort, then it is better to do an extraction of all the wisdom tooth. I advise you visit an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and the doctor will give an accurate treatment plan.

| 

Indiscriminate Use of Mouthwash Alone is not the Solution for Halitosis

Article Overview: Most of the time people never care about the underlying cause of bad breath, they just use mouthwash and think "all is well". This article stresses on the fact that mouthwash alone is not a solution for bad breath. Read Article

Whenever we experience bad smell or breath emanating from our mouth, the next thing we do is go and buy a mouthwash to get rid of it. This goes on for 1 or 2 months, and then we give up to the fate or finally decide for some expert opinion. We need to give bad breath more importance in our daily li...  Read Article

When I bite, both sides teeth do not come in contact at the same time. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, About 2.5 years ago I put extreme pressure on my back teeth by mistake, and they are now slightly pushed into my gums. Just a week ago, I noticed my upper right wisdom tooth and the tooth next to it were growing a bit crooked, so I decided to move them back myself gradually. I started get...  Read Full »

Does the MRI of my head show any TMJ problem?

Query: Hello doctor, It has been a long tiring search to find out what is wrong with me and I want to get a second opinion on the MRI of my head. The main symptoms I am having for three months are a constant sore throat, right ear feels clogged, ringing in ears at times, eyes are red all the time and sting...  Read Full »