Q. Will tooth removal for braces cause any shifting of other teeth?

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Oct 04, 2018

I have a misalignment and mild crowding of teeth in upper jaw and have bite issues. I have consulted a maxillofacial surgeon and advised tooth removal prior to braces and removed upper left tooth, probably molar tooth, and advised to consult orthodontist for braces. I want to know whether there will be any shifting of teeth or any other complications in the future? Please help me with your advice.

#

I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern. Yes, there will be shifting of teeth to fill the gaps and release the crowding by removing teeth. So you do not need to worry anything about the issue if your orthodontist consulted. The shifting will not be a complication but for the management purpose. If you mean migration in place of shifting that will be slight and will not create any issue further in your dental arch.

Thank you for your reply. I have one more doubt. My upper left wisdom tooth was removed. I see a white patch over cheek adjacent to it. There is no pain. The maxillofacial surgeon also advised removal of lower wisdom tooth. Now, I am in fear if there would be any problem in future like teeth alignment problem or can I manage without removing the lower left wisdom tooth.

#

The white patch is a hyperkeratotic lesion, that means the tissue portion would have been under constant stress for a long time as it used to come under last teeth. Get that last one removed too and it will disappear on its own.

I am bleeding, four hours after a tooth extraction. What to do?

Query: Hi doctor,About four hours ago, I had a tooth removed. It has started to bleed again, and I rinsed my mouth with water. I read online that you should not do that. My gum is really hurting. Am I going to be fine?  Read Full »

My teeth are crooked after using retainers only at night. Should I get braces again?

Query: Hello doctor, One of my teeth started moving backward as soon as I started wearing my retainer just at night. It got painful to put the retainer back in, and so I stopped wearing it. I am terrified of orthodontists and dentists, and so did not let my orthodontist know. Now, two of my teeth has move...  Read Full »

How can we stop excessive bleeding from tooth extraction site?

Query: Hi doctor, It has been eight hours now. I have extracted three teeth at the same time. There is excessive bleeding from the extracted site. Is this deadly?  Read Full »