Q. There is severe crowding of teeth. Can removal of wisdom teeth correct it?

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Our child is 12 with small face, mouth. She lost all but one milk teeth. She has severe crowding and overbite. Our orthodontist recommended removing lower jaw wisdom teeth which have not yet erupted. They are at an angle to the back teeth.

Dr. Disha Kandi Jain

Dentistry Naturopathy Orthodontist
#

As per your history, OPG and photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) I can see mesially titlted last or third molars. So, there is indication for its extraction. One deciduous tooth is unexfoliated. According to me, that lower unerupted tooth should be first taken into consideration. Extraction of wisdom teeth is one of the consideration but it is not an emergency. It is fine to extract third molar after completion of treatment also.

For proper detailed treatment planning and management,send me the following: Intraoral photographs, image of upper teeth after opening of jaw and clicking from down, image of lower teeth after opening of jaw and clicking from up, image of teeth from either side after occlusion.

| 

Is it necessary to get teeth extracted for orthodontic treatment?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 18 and currently have all teeth (except wisdom teeth) and braces for 10 months. My teeth are straight at this point but a few very small misalignments that will easily be fixed soon. I have an impacted tooth above my right-side second pre molar on my top row of teeth that is faci...  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »

Invisible Aligners for a Perfect Smile

Article Overview: Custom made invisible aligners are orthodontic devices that are a transparent plastic form of dental braces used to adjust or move the teeth, which encourages even adults to have a "Perfect Smile." Read Article

Everyone's dream is to have a great smile, but they get stuck where to start from. Many people are experiencing success using clear orthodontic devices called "Aligners." Orthodontic braces encourage teeth to move using brackets connected with wires. Aligners are a series of custom-made tight fitt...  Read Article

Ask an Orthodontist Now