Q. I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Dr. Honey Arora
Published on Sep 24, 2017

I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place on the opposite side of the mouth, and there is no smell. Do you think this could be a dry socket? Do I need to go back to the dentist or should I just stay home and wait for it to improve? I have attached a picture of the extraction site.

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentistry Oral Implantologist
#

Thanks for the query.

• As per the symptoms and image attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like the extraction site is not healing as it appears empty.
  • Yes, it looks like a dry socket, but a clinical examination is a must. You should not wait as the area can become progressively painful. You should consult your dentist and get evaluated.
  • In the case of dry socket, you will be given a sedative medicated dressing like zinc oxide eugenol into the socket. Along with it, a course of antibiotics and painkillers will also be advised.

Please write back with more queries. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Please suggest some painkiller for my back pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25 year old female, who is suffering from severe back pain. I am a teacher and have a 7 months old child. When I am at work, I have back pains at the end of the backbone, on the right side over the kidney. I got an ultrasound and an x-ray of the back. And I do not have any kidney s...  Read Full »

Will antibiotics help to improve IBS?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother is now 55 years and has been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) for over a year. Her condition was not so bad before. She was diagnosed with intestinal disease and was given some antibiotics like Flagyl or Metronidazole. After she took those pills for a month, she h...  Read Full »

I have pain in my heels which did not get better with any painkiller. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male. I have a pain in my heels from three to four months. I used a lot of painkillers like Ibuprofen, Voltral, Nims, Dicloran inj, Brexien, Movax, Muscoril, Rotec, Bonate, Carlex D, and Vitamin D inj. and Methicobal inj. etc, but the result is zero. I also try to w...  Read Full »