Q. I have pain and bad smell coming from a wisdom tooth extraction site. Is it dry socket?

Dr. Honey Arora

I had two wisdom teeth removed a week ago, and I still have some pain in the lower left extraction site. If I touch near the extraction site with a finger and then smell my finger, there is definitely a bad smell. I have controlled this with using another finger to touch the same place on the opposite side of the mouth, and there is no smell. Do you think this could be a dry socket? Do I need to go back to the dentist or should I just stay home and wait for it to improve? I have attached a picture of the extraction site.

#

Thanks for the query.

• As per the symptoms and image attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like the extraction site is not healing as it appears empty.
  • Yes, it looks like a dry socket, but a clinical examination is a must. You should not wait as the area can become progressively painful. You should consult your dentist and get evaluated.
  • In the case of dry socket, you will be given a sedative medicated dressing like zinc oxide eugenol into the socket. Along with it, a course of antibiotics and painkillers will also be advised.

Please write back with more queries. Regards.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|