Q. Kindly explain nasal CT scan taken for rebound congestion in nostril.

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

My nasal CT Scan reports say:

1. Deviation of the nasal septum to the left side with a septal spur on the left side impinging left interior turbinate visualized.
  2. Inferior turbinate hypertrophy visualized on both sides. Mild middle turbinate hypertrophy visualized on both sides.
  3. Mild bilateral ethmoid and maxillary sinusitis.
  4. Small mucous retention polyp visualized in the bilateral maxillary sinus.

I have rebound congestion in my left nostril. I do not understand my report. Please say a note about this. I am currently on antihistamines and nasal spray (stopped due to rebound congestion) using steam. The left nostril is blocked.

Dr. Subhadeep Karanjai

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Let me help you understand your report point by point.

1. Deviated nasal septum means the midline partition dividing your nose into two cavities is not straight. It is deviated to the left side. Inferior turbinate is a small curved bone in the side of the nasal cavity. The midline partition is touching that small bone.
  2. Inferior turbinate hypertrophy means the inferior turbinate bones (that I just now explained) have increased in size. Generally, this occurs in persons with allergies.
  3. Mild bilateral sinusitis. There are two maxillary sinuses and two groups of ethmoidal sinuses on each side. In your case, these sinuses on both sides are inflamed, but mildly.
  4. Small mucous retention polyp. Polyps are globular swellings arising from the lining of the nose. In your case, there are two such swellings, one in each of your maxillary sinus.

The CT (computed tomography) scan findings suggest you have a deviated nasal septum (which may be causing the nose block) and mild sinus infection. Nasal drops like Xylometazoline should not be used continuously for more than seven days as it causes rebound congestion. We substitute that with normal saline nasal drops that can be used over a long time. Antihistaminics and steam do help. If optimum medical treatment fails to relieve symptoms, patients are advised surgery (called septoplasty) involving straightening the midline partition. Your ENT specialist can help you in making an informed decision regarding the same.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|