Q. Please explain the findings of my CT scan.

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I recently got my test results back, but was not able to get any feedback yet. I had periodontal disease and my CT scan showed maxillary and sphenoid sinusitis. Therefore, I went to an ENT specialist for imaging. My findings include mucosal thickening in the right sphenoid sinus, as well as mucus retention cyst or polyp in the left maxillary sinus. Mucus retention cyst or mucocele in the right inferior maxillary sinus causing the cortical scalloping with several foci of calcification within it. Additionally, the nasal septum is mildly deviated to the right. I have been trying to find information about cortical scalloping and calcification. To my understanding, is the sphenoid sinus issue somewhat rare? I would just like to know if this is something that probably is nothing much to worry about in or if it may seem to be more serious. What does cortical scalloping indicate? I understand that I will need to speak directly to my ENT doctor again. I also have migraines and on regular medicine. Thank you for your time and assistance.

Dr. Alok Rathi

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

First of all, let me tell you a few things.

• CT scan shows soft tissue density based on which we predict the underlying disease correlating clinically.
  • Ideally, the patient is assessed clinically and CT is advised to arrive at a diagnosis or probable diagnosis. On the other hand, CT also helps in understanding the anatomy of your nose and sinuses, which is correlated with possible pathophysiology and your clinical symptoms.
  • Normally, sinuses have mucosal glands, which keep on secreting mucus and push it towards the throat and it is swallowed without our notice. If this secretion is present during CT scan being done, it will show as soft tissue density, which cannot get differentiated from mucosal hypertrophy.
  • So, your report is not of much importance unless it is a malignancy, which you do not have. Your CT images, clinical symptoms and nasal endoscopy images are important.
  • Calcification seen may be due to dental disease you have. If you do not have any nasal or sinus symptoms, nothing to worry.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|