Q. My son has cylindrical eye power. Will his eyesight ever return to normal?

Dr. Bachar Khoury
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

My son is 4 years and 10 months old. He has -2.5 cylindrical power in both the eyes. Is it possible for his eyesight to recover? Is this a serious condition at this age? Can it be improved with a diet? Are there any precautions I must take? Could it be due to excessive use of phones and television?

Dr. Bachar Khoury

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Unfortunately, his eyesight will not return to normal. But his vision can be corrected with a LASIK surgery after he turns 18. It is not a serious condition.
  • It cannot be improved with diet.
  • You can ensure he takes breaks when reading and watching television.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what causes this cylinder power in the eye?

Dr. Bachar Khoury

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Cylindrical power is mainly caused due to genetic factors but not necessarily from the parents.
  • It is not directly caused by the use of mobile phones but long term use increases the minus power due to a ciliary spasm or accommodation spasm.

|