Q. My son has cylindrical eye power. Will his eyesight ever return to normal?

Dr. Bachar Khoury
Published on Nov 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

My son is 4 years and 10 months old. He has -2.5 cylindrical power in both the eyes. Is it possible for his eyesight to recover? Is this a serious condition at this age? Can it be improved with a diet? Are there any precautions I must take? Could it be due to excessive use of phones and television?

Dr. Bachar Khoury

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Unfortunately, his eyesight will not return to normal. But his vision can be corrected with a LASIK surgery after he turns 18. It is not a serious condition.
  • It cannot be improved with diet.
  • You can ensure he takes breaks when reading and watching television.

For more information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me what causes this cylinder power in the eye?

Dr. Bachar Khoury

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Cylindrical power is mainly caused due to genetic factors but not necessarily from the parents.
  • It is not directly caused by the use of mobile phones but long term use increases the minus power due to a ciliary spasm or accommodation spasm.

Will masturbating on next day of laser eye surgery cause any side-effect?

Query: Hello doctor, My brother had an eye trauma. So, he had laser surgery for retina after two months of trauma. But he masturbated the next day of laser surgery (after 19 hours). Will that cause any problem to his retina or retinal nerve? Will it increase intraocular pressure? Please give a detailed an...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Masturbation will not have any adverse effect on laser treatment of retina or retina. There may be a minimal increase of intraocular pressure with masturbation but that must be non-significant. Kindly share the file to guide you better.  Read Full