Q. Will CMV or herpes infection before or after birth affect pregnancy or child?

Dr. Ashwini Ekatpure
Published on Sep 19, 2018

I am in 36th week of pregnancy. My last ultrasound was doppler happened at 34th week 5 days. I showed the pregnancy of 32 weeks 5 days with mild IUGR. Fetal weight 1885 grams. My gynecologist advised CBC, and Torch IgM, IgG tests. In the CBC test, total leucocyte count is 13300/cumm, MPV is 8.0 fl. All other values are normal. Torch IgM is nonreactive or negative. Torch IgG is positive for CMV value 1.59, and positive for herpes value 3.49. Is there any danger to my pregnancy or my child to be infected by CMV or herpes before or after birth?

Dr. Ashwini Ekatpure

#

Your baby growth is lagging behind. I need weekly no stress test and ultrasound with doppler every 10 days. Do the following things for baby's well being. Maintain daily baby kick count and note down between 9 AM to 9 PM. Blood pressure monitoring on an alternate day. Urine test routine and microscopy, bed rest, high protein diet.

About infection, did you have any previous abortion? Or a previous baby with any birth defect? The report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggests that it is an old infection. Do not worry about that. As you already have immunity for CMV (cytomegalovirus) and herpes.

Pregnancy-induced hypertension.

1.Urine test routine.
2.BP monitoring.
3.NST (nonstress test) weekly.
4.Ultrasound with doppler every 10 days.

Is there any skeletal abnormality in my ultrasound report?

Query: Hi doctor, Please comment on my ultrasound report. Single fetus in cephalic presentation. Placenta: anterior Gr-1 and amniotic fluid is adequate (AFI-16.4). Fetal measurements are as follows: BPD 80 mm, HC 306 mm, AC 280 mm and FL 58 mm, RT - humerus 52 mm, radius 45 mm, ulna 50 mm, tibia 50 mm and ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a normal third trimester fetal growth parameter ultrasound report. Biophysical profile is normal. Weight is corresponding to the age of gestation and presentation is cephalic with head down towards pelvis, which is normal. So, you need not worry. Baby's growth ...  Read Full

Maternal serum is reactive for CMV. How to diagnose the same in a 10 weeks old baby?

Query: Hi doctor, I delivered a baby ten weeks ago which weighed 2.0 kilograms at birth, and it was a pre-term cesarean delivery. The baby was healthy according to the attending pediatrician at the time of delivery, and the baby was not taken to the NICU. I got a maternal blood report which was taken duri...  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. CMV (cytomegalovirus) IgG and IgM suggests that you have cytomegalovirus infection and it can spread to the baby. 90 % of infections are asymptomatic. But 5...  Read Full

Can HSV positive cause abortion?

Query: Hi doctor, Myself and my wife got tested for chromosome test as my wife had failed premature delivery. The test result indicates that we are HSV IgG positive, CMV and rubella positive. Please suggest me.  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This indicates that TORCH infections (toxoplasmosis, other - syphilis, etc., rubella, cytomegalovirus and herpes) might have caused the premature delivery or stillbirth. HSV (herpes simplex virus) causes herpes, CMV is cytomegalovirus and rubella is another viral...  Read Full