Q. Should we concern about the baby if the maternal serum is reactive for CMV?

Dr. Deepak Patel
Published on Nov 15, 2018

I delivered a baby ten weeks ago which weighed 2.0 kilograms at birth, and it was a pre-term cesarean delivery. The baby was healthy according to the attending pediatrician at the time of delivery, and the baby was not taken to the NICU. I got a maternal blood report which was taken during the baby’s umbilical cord blood banking at the time of baby's delivery.

The report suggested me that my (maternal) serum is reactive for both CMV IgG and IgM. I am very scared. Is there any other test available which can be done after ten weeks on the baby for diagnosing CMV infection? Please suggest me. Is this a concern and what to do next? Currently, I am giving breastfeeding and also giving powder milk. Do I need to stop breastfeeding?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can understand your concern. CMV (cytomegalovirus) IgG and IgM suggests that you have cytomegalovirus infection and it can spread to the baby. 90 % of infections are asymptomatic. But 5 to 15 % may have hearing loss, mental retardation, and microcephaly.

These are the tests which should be done in the baby. They are spin enhanced culture and virus isolation in tissue culture. It is the most sensitive and specific test for diagnosis. Other tests such as urine, saliva, CMV antigen test, CT (computed tomography), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), hearing test, ophthalmological evaluation, CBC (complete blood count), and LFT (liver function test) should also be done.

The child should be examined soon by the neonatologist. Infection can spread by breastfeeding. Breastfeeding should be stopped until you show the child to the neonatologist.

The CMV IgG and IgM test were performed on me during the baby’s umbilical cord banking before ten weeks at the time of baby’s delivery. Though the baby was 2.0 kilograms weight and it was a pre-term cesarean delivery, the baby was healthy according to the attending pediatrician at the time of birth, and the baby was not taken to the NICU.

Are these tests suggested by you is still usable even after passing the ten week period? Does it help the baby? If the baby is infected with CMV, then what could be the possible treatment?

Dr. Deepak Patel

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Yes, these tests are needed to be done soon even if the baby is ten weeks old. If the baby is infected, then Ganciclovir injection is given. But it depends on the type of complication. The child should be examined soon by a neonatologist.

TSH is very high in a CMV IgG positive patient. Can she become pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, We are trying for pregnancy. My wife recently got some tests done namely a TORCH profile with the primary sample being serum through the ECLIA method. The toxoplasma IgG was 500.0 positive IU/mL and rubella IgM being 0.20 with negative COI. With the ELISA method, there is HSV I and I...  Read Full »

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full »

Please look at TORCH test results and tell if there is any concern.

Query: Hello doctor,My wife is 6 months pregnant. She underwent TORCH test as there were two miscarriages in the past after one normal delivery. The result of the test is as follows:Toxo Plasma-IgM: 4.30, Rubella IgM: 11.80, CMV IgM: 5.80, HSV 1 and 2 IgM: 0.58;Toxo Plasma-IgG: 3.60 iu/ml, Rubella IgG: 139...  Read Full »

Ask a Child Health Specialist Now