Q. Can HSV positive cause abortion?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Jun 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Myself and my wife got tested for chromosome test as my wife had failed premature delivery. The test result indicates that we are HSV IgG positive, CMV and rubella positive. Please suggest me.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

• This indicates that TORCH infections (toxoplasmosis, other - syphilis, etc., rubella, cytomegalovirus and herpes) might have caused the premature delivery or stillbirth.
  • HSV (herpes simplex virus) causes herpes, CMV is cytomegalovirus and rubella is another viral infection.
  • Treatment of these infections would be required before undertaking future family planning as these infections are a cause of repeated abortions.
  • But, I doubt that all three infections are simultaneously present in an individual. So, please attach the test report for further reference.

Revert back with the test report to a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

I am attaching the test reports for your reference. Please go through it and suggest me.

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• IgG (immunoglobulin G) may come positive in many individuals, who are normal and asymptomatic. So, there is no significance of positive IgG alone (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • In your report IgM of HSV-herpes simplex virus and rubella are negative. So, it is normal and treatment is not required for you and for your wife.
  • I hope thyroid profile was also done and was normal.

For further information consult a HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now