D-dimer

Can anxiety cause high D-dimer levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having some shortness of breath. I am really bad with panic attacks. Routine blood work shows D-dimmer still elevated after eight months. Last year, the results were in a normal range under 230 in the hospital. A few months later after I had a stillbirth, it was elevated t...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. D-dimer test is used to exclude deep vein thrombosis like thrombotic disorder.  Your D-dimer value (fibrin degradation product) is slightly high.  If clinically and from other investigations, thrombosis is not present then other causes for high false positive D-dimer...  Read Full »

How long will it take for the elevated D-dimer level to decrease after an infection in an older person?

Query: Hello doctor, My uncle is 63 years old. He was detected positive and had some issues with the oxygen level so was admitted in the hospital for around 15 days. He was tested negative and brought home. In a day the situation changed and his sugar level was high that it could not even get detected on...  Read Full »

Dr. S D Sinha

Family Physician, Infectious Diseases Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. D-dimer is a portion of the blood clotting proteins that get elevated during increased clotting states like disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) (or simply widespread coagulation in various organs in the body). The latter gets also activated in this disease, ...  Read Full »

Bruise due to cerebral angiogram cause elevated D-dimer. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a cerebral angiogram performed 10 days ago. They entered through my right femoral and the test was normal. I developed the expected bruising. However, I have now developed red/purple linear streaks resembling a vascular pattern through the bruise. My thigh is mildly painful, whi...  Read Full »

Dr. Kumar Sonal

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sorry to hear about your complaints. Bruise following angiography is quite common and usually subsides over time. D-dimer was elevated in your case, so your consultant has gone for a Doppler scan to rule out thrombus formation, which in your case has come out to be ...  Read Full »

What does positive ANA test indicate?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old female fatigue, sluggish, difficulty concentrating, and migraines. I have difficulty regulating temperature with periodic tightness in the chest and fluttering sensation. My EKG, chest CT and chest x ray are normal with negative COVID test. My Vitamin B12, folate...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following is my opinion for your asked question. Your attached CBC (complete blood count) report is within the limit (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Platelets count and ABL are also in borderline and you might need not to worry about that. For your ...  Read Full »

What causes elevated D-dimer?

Query: Hello doctor, My D-dimer is getting higher from 1.5 to 5.9 within the last four months. My heart has been checked, and I had a chest x-ray, CT of heart, aorta, abdomen, and pelvic floor and Doppler of my legs. All are clear. Blood work is normal apart from D-Dimer and c-reactive protein which is 1...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Following is my opinion about your asked question. D-dimer is usually elevated in some thrombotic events in the body like DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation), deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism. But your CT chest and Doppler leg are normal as per hi...  Read Full »

What is peripheral artery disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 33 year old female. I have never smoked. I am not overweight and I do not have diabetes. I have been having some left leg issues. It started six months back. I started limping because my left calf, ankle and groin were hurting. My emergency Doppler venous ultrasound was clear. I ha...  Read Full »

Dr. Raghu

General Surgeon, Surgical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, I understand that the first time you had a problem with your left leg was due to a sprain (talofibular ligament) around the ankle and it got resolved. I suspect the same problem or something similar is causing you the pain again. It is highly ...  Read Full »

What causes swelling on left side of the body?

Query: Hi doctor, Four days back my right side arm, leg and foot got swollen. I am taking Levothyroxine regularly. I do not have any other issue. Please help.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Right side swelling could be due to edema, allergic inflammation or infection. I would suggest you to consult a physician and have a physical examination as soon as possible. You may need to carry out complete blood count, liver and kidney function test, hea...  Read Full »

Do Minimal Bibasilar Atelectasis Need To Be Treated?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a CT scan done yesterday for something else (nothing serious). They did say there was a 0.3 cm superior right lower lobe pulmonary nodule. Minimal bibasilar atelectasis. No focal consolidative opacities and no acute abnormality in the lungs. The doctor said since I am not at hig...  Read Full »

Dr. Vedprakash Verma

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Family Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Any past history of pnuemonia, bronchitis, or any history of tuberculosis? Connect me with details for full evaluation and management.  Read Full »

What is the cause for elevation of D dimer?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 47 years old female. Before a year, I went to the ER with pain during breathing. My D dimer was elevated at 700 ng/mL. CT scan was negative for a clot. Then I have done two subsequent D dimer tests, and both the ranges were elevated. The values are 521 ng/mL and 707 ng/mL. I am taki...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. D dimer is a fibrin degraded product, and it is elevated in case of thrombosis usually like pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis. For this, the investigation is done in the form of 2D echocardiography and color doppler of the leg. But you had investigated with CT sc...  Read Full »

My D-dimer is 1.28 ug/ml. Should I continue to pursue the D-dimer?

Query: Hello doctor,I got blood work for recurrent chest pain. All was normal but my D-dimer was 1.28 ug/ml (normal below 0.50). Chest CT with contrast normal, doppler u/s both legs normal, abdomen/pelvic CT, as well as abdominal ultrasound normal. The doctor says do not worry about D-dimer but it was norm...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I think we should retest D-dimer may be after few weeks, three to four weeks. This is to see the trend and confirm the elevated levels. The usual causes for elevation include DVT (deep vein thrombosis), pulmonary embolism, infection, stroke, trauma and rarely some ca...  Read Full »