Q. My D-dimer level is raised. Can I get vaccinated for COVID-19?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I recently got a D-dimer test. I am attaching the reports. Please comment.

#

Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your investigation report (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), your D-dimer level is 0.5 μg/mL, normal value is (<0.5 μg/mL). So, your D-dimer level is slightly elevated. D-dimer level may be raised due to inflammation in infections like COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019), trauma, burns, post-surgical treatment, stress, liver disease, heart disease, malignancy, etc.

D-dimer may be found after the formation of a clot and is in the process of breaking it down. But, raised D-dimer level cannot confirm clotting incidence in the body as it may be raised due to the scenarios mentioned above. So, it is crucial to correlate the presenting clinical features with D-dimer test results. Please tell me why you have undergone the D-dimer test and what the present complications are. If you provide more information, then it will be possible to detect the causes of your raised D-dimer level. Take care and let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks for the reply, doctor,

I went to get vaccinated for COVID-19, and they asked to get this test done first to avoid complications.

#

Thanks for joining again. A normal D-dimer value is less than 0.5 µg/mL, whereas a positive D dimer is 0.50 µg/mL or greater than 0.5 µg/mL.

So, your D-dimer result is positive. Apart from clotting disorders and other mentioned causes for raised value, age is also a reason. Increasing age may cause a raised D-dimer level, especially in those aged 50 years and above. So, your D-dimer may be raised due to age as you have not mentioned any complications regarding clotting disorder, so after assessing you physically, your doctor will decide whether you should take the COVID-19 vaccine or not.

Take care. Let me know if I can assist you further.

|