My D-dimer is 1. 28 ug/ml. Should I continue to pursue the D-dimer?

Q. My D-dimer is 1. 28 ug/ml. Should I continue to pursue the D-dimer?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Dec 05, 2022

Hello doctor,

I got blood work for recurrent chest pain. All was normal, but my D-dimer was 1.28 ug/ml (normal below 0.50). Chest CT with contrast normal, doppler u/s both legs normal, abdomen/pelvic CT, as well as abdominal ultrasound normal. The doctor says not to worry about D-dimer, but it was normal range a year ago. I had a hysterectomy, endometriosis excision, or fallopian tubes removed five months ago and it resulted in an abscess and sepsis. I was hospitalized for a week but recovered. I have Hashimoto's but no treatment because my TSH is in a normal range. Should I continue to pursue the D-dimer? Currently, I am taking Lexapro 10 mg daily.



Welcome to

I think we should retest D-dimer maybe after a few weeks, three to four weeks. This is to see the trend and confirm the elevated levels. The usual causes for elevation include DVT (deep vein thrombosis), pulmonary embolism, infection, stroke, trauma, and rarely some cancerous conditions. Also, D-dimer rises with age. But, all your investigations are negative so ruling out the major and important causes for elevated D-dimer.

I guess at this moment, you are totally asymptomatic, right? No fever or any evidence of infection, etc. The elevation from the previous infection five months back should have settled by this time. You have undergone all possible tests to rule out the causes of elevated D-dimer, so I think there is no need to worry about it at this moment. So overall, I think we should repeat the test after three to four weeks. Also, see if you have any symptoms, or let me know if you suffered from a recent infection or trauma.

Hi doctor,

Thank you for the reply.

My first reading was 1.18, then the second one after four days (different lab) was 1.28. I waited 12 days and had another one drawn, and it was 1.98. These are on a scale of 0.50, being the limit. Nothing is showing up on my other tests, as you can see above. I am at a loss, as is my doctor. Do you have any recommendations?



Welcome back to

So it is elevated without any cause. The next thing which can do is a PET scan. I think it is better to go ahead with a whole-body PET scan to rule out occult cancer or infection. A PET scan will show if any serious abnormalities are going anywhere in the body. So you discuss the PET scan with your local doctor.

Hello doctor,

Thank you for the reply.

I made an error in my last post, my latest reading was not 1.98 it was 1.12. So basically, it has been 1.18, four days later 1.28, and then 12 days later 1.12. So it has gone down a tiny bit. Would you recommend, at this point, I wait maybe a few weeks and test again to see if it goes down, or would you proceed with a PET scan? Thank you very much for all of your insight, you have been a huge help to me.



Welcome back to

Still, there is no significant fall, and the level is well above the reference range without evident cause. So I think it is worthwhile to get it done. My major concern is malignancy, and once we have ruled it out sure, then we will have additional assurance. So I think let's proceed with it. All the best.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can you suggest treatment for my elevated D-dimer levels?

For deep vein thrombosis of the legs, a color Doppler investigation can be done and for pulmonary embolism, a CT (computed tomography) angiography can be done only if needed ...   Read full

Do you think that my doctor's suggestion is right regarding my DVT and knee injury?

.. gone through your query and would like to give replies to your queries accordingly. The issue is that you have a concomitant knee ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) and MCL (medial collateral ligament) injury for which a surgical procedure will be requir   Read full

Is stroke along with bleeding inside brain worrisome?

.. hemorrhage is for a short duration but very dangerous. The reason being a sudden build up of pressure in the brain. In case of chronic bleeding it is not so dangerous but it will remain for a long period.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.