Q. Dandruff has affected my scalp, eyebrows, and eyelashes. What to do?

Dr. Kakkar
Published on Nov 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

I am having dandruff ever since I can remember. Tried many remedies, but nothing seems to work to get rid of the dandruff. Now it has started to appear on my eyebrows and eye lashes. Could you suggest a remedy, test and treatment?

Dr. Kakkar

Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

Dandruff or Seborrheic dermatitis is an important cause of scalp itching and increased hair shedding. Controlling dandruff effectively would control scalp itching too.

Since dandruff is bound to recur, therefore rather than using a regular shampoo, people with dandruff should use an antidandruff shampoo to keep dandruff under check.

If I was your treating doctor I would have suggested you use an anti-dandruff lotion or shampoo. My choice is 2% Ketoconazole shampoo, thrice weekly or even daily, for two to three weeks.

However, sometimes a shampoo alone seems insufficient. In such a case dermatologists choose to prescribe a topical steroid lotion like Mometasone lotion (Elocon lotion), to be applied once daily at night, at the scalp skin and eyebrows as well, for two weeks. For the lashes, you can apply a milder topical steroid Desonide (Desowen cream) once daily at night for seven to ten days.

The topical steroid lotion can be stopped once the dandruff is well controlled and thereafter the improvement can be sustained by using an anti- dandruff lotion or shampoo, weekly twice.

Related Video

Can Nasonex and Zyrtec be used for sinus block?

Query: Hi doctor, I found that my nose was blocked. The doctor diagnosed it as sinus block. I first took Otrivin drops and Moxiflox (antibiotic). As there is no improvement, I am taking Nasonex and Zyrtec. Please give your opinion.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your treatment is correct. The Nasonex (Mometasone furoate) spray removes the inflammation, and Zyrtec (Cetirizine) will eliminate the allergic component. Continue the medicines as advised. If the problem is getting repeated and present for more than three months...  Read Full

How to stop dandruff and hair fall?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 20-year-old female. Since two years, I am getting tiny white balls coming out from my head in comb with dandruff flakes and a lot of hair fall. I took homeopathy medicine and after some time, it came again.  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am not very sure what you are referring to by saying white balls. It can be a small piece of dandruff scale forming a ball. To be more precise, I would like to see the picture. For any query, please make it a point to add the clinical picture, which would make dia...  Read Full

Baby has white patch on cheeks though pimples are gone. Is it seborrheic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1 and a half month old baby is having mild cradle cap and cluster of red pimples on his face. The area is quite dry even though the pimples are gone. This has left a white patch or discoloration on his cheeks. Is this atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis? How long will it l...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The baby has post-inflammatory hypopigmentation due to seborrheic dermatitis. It is nothing serious and will go with time. I suggest you apply Desowen lotion (D...  Read Full