Q. I have oily dandruff and dry hairs with hair fall. How can I be treated?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
Published on Dec 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have oily dandruff and dry hairs and hair fall. So what should I do if I wash hairs every day so they will become more dry and thin too?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

Many people with dandruff have oily skin and the latest research shows that the real culprit is probably a tiny fungus called Malassezia globosa that needs oil to grow. It only becomes a problem when the fungus grows too rapidly, and our natural renewal of cells is disturbed.

It causes skin cells to renew too fast and dandruff will start to show because the skin cells bond with the oil on the surface of your scalp.

This process results in the formation of white flakes.

Regular shampooing can even irritate your skin that may aggravate flakes formation.

Do not wash your hair more than two times a week or every alternate day. Use organic shampoos without skin irritants.

While washing your hair use lukewarm water. Do not use nails just massage it gently with fingers. Then wash with cold water.

You may use antifungal Nizoral shampoo to control dandruff. You may use it once a week for six to eight weeks.

If symptoms still persist, you need to consult your dermatologist. He will guide you in the right way.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Related Video

I have very thin and short hair. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am 20 years old, and I have very thin and short hair. I want to grow hair to cover my forehead. I am not able to make any hairstyle because of less hair. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Short and thin hair might have many reasons, some common causes are the nutritional deficiency, hormonal disturbance, stress, unhealthy lifestyle, and hereditary. Try the following things for hair growth. Add foods like dates, raisins, fig, curry leaves, spinach, and f...  Read Full

Is my hair fall due to shampooing daily and dandruff?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had a dandruff problem for very long. So, I started shampooing my hair every day. Even then skipping even a single day of shampooing leaves my hair full of dirt and makes it completely oily. And an itchy scalp is always there no matter what I do. I have started losing a lot of ha...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rabia

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have told, you have a dandruff problem and oily scalp that is seborrheic dermatitis which can be mild or can be severe. And yes hair can fall due to dandruff problem. I will suggest a few things for this. For proper hair growth ensure proper diet with Vitamins...  Read Full