Q. I experience lot of hair fall. Am I suffering from androgenic alopecia?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

I am 26 years old, 5.5 height with 70 kg weight. My hair has always been thin with oily dandruff-prone scalp. However, last year, due to some mental stress and trauma, I experienced a lot of hair fall. My hair fall stabilized from March this year. At present, there are a lot of new hairs on my crown, but I see quite a lot of them falling as well. Also, my hairs do not seem to grow longer than my waist. My mom has thyroid-induced alopecia. My thyroid is fine. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS-like symptoms without cysts. My condition is better now. I am worried if I am suffering from androgenic alopecia.

#

In your photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there is certainly hair loss at a particular area but rest of the scalp has good density of hair. You can have androgenic alopecia although it is not common in females.

I would suggest you get a blood check up to know hemoglobin because less hemoglobin is the most common cause of hair loss in females.

I also suggest a few medicines. I shall review your case after 20 days.

1. Tablet Follihair (Biotin and Amino acids) once in a day.
  2. Tablet Finax (Finasteride) 1 mg once in a day.
  3. Hair4u 5 % (Minoxidil topical and Aminexil) - apply on the scalp once in the night.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

For more information consult a hair transplant surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hair-transplant-surgeon

Is Finasteride not a DHT blocker for males? Hair4u causes hair fall for me. Also, I forgot to tell, I have been suffering from folliculitis as well, for which I have been using Salisia KT shampoo from last August or so. At present, my severe dandruff and folliculitis are under control. Was this shampoo responsible for hair fall as well?

#

In androgenic alopecia either in males or females, Finasteride can be given. Hair4u does not cause hair fall. I have not seen any case complaining this. Salisia KT is for dandruff not for hair fall.

For further treatment (advanced than medicine), you can go for PRP (platelet-rich plasma). It is a procedure in which your blood growth factors will be injected into your scalp.

| 

Alopecia - Hair loss Treatment Through Homeopathy

Article Overview: Hair fall problems are at a rise, and even young adults are complaining about it. This article provides homeopathic treatment options for hair fall. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Nowadays, hair fall problem is gradually increasing. Many young adults have been complaining about hair loss issues. Some of them complain about genetic or hereditary kind of hair loss, while some of them complain hair fall after the use of certain medications or due to some external factors like ch...  Read Article

Hair Transplantation - an Emerging Need

Article Overview: This articles discuss about hair transplantation and in whom it is effective. Read Article

Hair transplantation involves the removal of self hair follicles either from a strip of hair taken from the back of our scalp (occiput) or from 0.5-1 mm scalp punch biopsies. The latest in hair transplantation procedure is follicular unit transplantation (FUT) or follicular unit extraction (FUE...  Read Article

Hair Loss (Alopecia Areata) Cure Through Homoeopathy

Article Overview: Homeopathic treatment for alopecia areata is reasonably successful. Homeopathic medicines try to cure the immune system disorder that is responsible for hair loss. Read Article

Dr. Priyanka M Arora
Homeopathic Physician

What Is Alopecia Areata? Alopecia areata is a condition where there is hair loss that affects typically the scalp, beard, eyebrows etc in oval or circular patches. Alopecia areata is a common skin disorder which affects all races, both genders and typically younger age groups. In some cases total ...  Read Article

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Hair Transplant Surgeon Now