Q. My scalp presents with white flakes and scales due to dandruff. How to manage it?

Dr. B T Priya
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 18, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

I am a 22-year-old female. I have consulted many doctors for my dandruff problem but I could not get good results. I have white flakes and scales on my scalp. My scalp is oily and greasy. I have an oily face with a lot of pimples. I have some small minute bumps on my face, forehead, back, and chest. I have a slight hair fall. I have tried using many medicines but there is no improvement. I have a hemoglobin of 11.5 g/dL and I checked it recently. Please suggest better medicine.

#

You can take tablet AF 400 (Flucanozole) three tablets for a week. You can use Becort lotion (Beclomethasone) over the scalp for three hours before doing hair wash. You can also use diluted Ketafung CT (coal tar) lotion or Tarsalic shampoo (Salicyclic acid with Coal tar) for ten minutes. Soak it and wash it off from your hair. Follow this for alternative days. You can apply Clindac A gel (Clindamycin) on the spots in the face. You can take tablet Follihair (Multivitamin) every day once at night. You can also take tablet Livogen (Iron with vitamin B9) in the morning. When dandruff gets resolved, then the other problems will get reduced completely. Drink plenty of water.

Do I need to use the same ointment for the neck, chest, and back?

#

You can apply Deriva CMS gel (Adapalene with Clindamycin) on the acne spots present on the chest and back at night. Have a review after three weeks. If there is no improvement, then you need to consult a doctor in person.

My dandruff has reduced. But my scalp remains greasy. I have some raised bumps of four to five numbers on my scalp. I have flakes coming from it and it becomes black after few days. I had this issue three years back. I was advised to take Eclo-6 ointment. There is no improvement even after using it now. My hair remains dry and frizzy. I have hair breakage without a reduction in hair fall. How many days should I need to take hair fall tablets? What is the shampoo and conditioner to be used? Can I oil my hair? Pimples in my neck and face got reduced. But my face remains oily. Kindly suggest a face wash.

#

Excess oil secretion is the root cause of acne and dandruff. It stops only by aging. Apply Propysalic NF lotion (Clobestol with Salicyclic acid) on the raised bumps present on the scalp. You can use shampoo on your scalp and wash it off. Hair fall takes some time to stop. Continue taking tablets till your hair fall stops. Do oiling twice a week. Use D-acne face wash. You can use any shampoo that suits your hair.

Can I continue taking Follihair and Livogen tablets? I am using Zydip lotion and Ketofung CT shampoo. Can I continue using it?

#

Continue using all if you still have dandruff and hair fall.

I am taking all the prescribed medicines. I am taking Follihair, Livogen, and Ketafung CT shampoo. My dandruff has some improvement. But hair loss is severe. When I wash and comb my hair, there is a lot of hair fall. In the place of a raised bump, my hair is fallen. My hair loss is severe for the past 20 days. Kindly tell me the required medicine.

#

Kindly do CBC (complete blood count). Check serum ferritin, vitamin D3 level, T3 (triiodothyronine), T4 (thyroxine), TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), prolactin, FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), LH level (luteinizing hormone), and ANA (anti-nuclear antibody) You can start taking Keraglo Eve tablet once a day at night, Mymifer tablet (Ferrous ascorbate with Folic acid) daily once in the morning, and apply Q sera serum to the scalp daily in the night. Have oiling on the hair once in two days. Take a balanced diet. All the damaged hairs will fall and only new hairs will be coming into that area. Have a review of your reports. Take care.

Can I use Q-sera serum daily at night or before hair wash alone? Is it good to use hair oiling once in two days? Can I continue using Zypid lotion, Ketafung CT shampoo for dandruff? or any other changes needed?

#

Q-sera serum should be used only at night. For antidandruff shampoo, you can use a shampoo that is comfortable to you.

|