Q. Is my DHT level causing mild hair fall and flaky scalp?

Dr. Shalini Patodiya
Published on Mar 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 19 years old. For the past three months, I have mild hair fall. I lose around 2 to 10 hair after every shower. I have never had hair fall in the past. I also did a background check with my family history; none had any baldness even in the 70s. I fear this would be the result of masturbation habit, which could have boosted DHT. So far I have lost about five percent of my hair. Though there are no visible bald spots, I can say my density has reduced a lot. I also have a flaky scalp, 1 to 2 cm sized flakes and that would cause snowfall like scenario. When I touch my hair, my scalp is shedding like a tree in fall. Would that be the reason for my hair fall or the DHT?

I have been using Noskurf lotion and Aminexil shampoo from the past 15 days, which reduced the flaking a bit. It is like my head is flakes-free for a couple of days and again it reappears. But it did nothing to stop my hair fall. I saw that most of the hair that fall are either too thin and smudged irregularly or are tiny new hair. I also feel pain and heat over the scalp which is succeeded by the localized hair loss after a couple of days. Since I joined MBBS course, I am not on a proper diet. Could this hair loss be due to biotin?

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

Flaky scalp not responding to Noskurf (combination of Climbazole, Piroctone Olamine, Aminodermine, and almond oil) lotion may be scalp psoriasis and need steroid plus Salicylic acid 6 % combination lotion.

The pain is due to hair root inflammation, which is commonly seen in male pattern baldness.

I would suggest you get the following test done.

1. Serum DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) level.
  2. Thyroid profile.
  3. CBC (complete blood count).

If DHT is high, then we have a specific treatment for that. Both psoriasis and hair fall may increase due to stress.

It is good that you are taking preventive steps.

Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Alopecia - Hair loss Treatment Through Homeopathy

Article Overview: Hair fall problems are at a rise, and even young adults are complaining about it. This article provides homeopathic treatment options for hair fall. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Nowadays, hair fall problem is gradually increasing. Many young adults have been complaining about hair loss issues. Some of them complain about genetic or hereditary kind of hair loss, while some of them complain hair fall after the use of certain medications or due to some external factors like ch...  Read Article

Apart from getting injections, what treatments are available for seborrheic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, Eight years ago, a car wreck shattered the windshield, and my head got injured with pieces of glass. They did not take the glass out, and I have also been dying my hair since I was 16. I developed fibromyalgia from the wreck, which is supposed to be relatively non-progressive, however ...  Read Full »