Q. Is there any treatment for sinusoidal deafness?

Dr. Dev Roy
Published on May 01, 2018

I have sinusoidal deafness for the past 22 years which is hereditary in my family. I wear hearing aids in both ears, but still, struggle in hearing. I was told to upgrade to higher end 32-channel hearing aid, which costs a bomb. From the past 20 years, my hearing problem has worsened. During a health checkup in my office, I was prescribed Nervijen-P capsules for 20 days. What i want to know is whether at least my deafness level can be stabilized to the present level? It should not go worse than this. Is there any treatment for this?

Dr. Dev Roy

Otolaryngology (E.N.T) Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Speech Therapist
#

You have a bilateral sensorineural loss which is progressive. There is no medicine which can prevent further loss.

You have to get serial audiograms every six months to see the progression of the hearing loss.

Current treatment is to wear a good quality digital hearing aid in both ears. They are available in different price ranges, and you can buy one that suits your budget. You have to make sure that the hearing aids are programmed properly. You may have to visit your doctor or audiologists who fits the hearing aid frequently for the first one month so that they can adjust the hearing aid.

If the hearing loss progresses, then you may have to go for a more powerful aid.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Please help with my father's hearing loss.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been suffering from hearing loss due to Amikacin injection. Please help.  Read Full »