Q. Kindly suggest the treatment options for sudden deafness of ear.

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane

I am a 32-year-old male with a height of 170 cm and weight 50 kg. I had sudden deafness of left ear last year. No infection, no injury, no other disease. Treatment started with Mecobalamin, Dexamethasone sodium phosphate, and some other medication through IV. Also treated with mouse nerve growth factor and hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Oral Mecobalamin and B complex for a month. Now there is still some low-frequency hearing loss of the left ear and mild tinnitus. I am seeking for more treatment options and advice which may improve the hearing function.

#

As per reported by you, there is an improvement in the left ear however, in spite of all the treatments done, sometimes the loss is not entirely reversible. Thus there are high chances of the damage in the left ear to be the same, which is mild at low frequency. The main rates responsible for speech perception are that of 500, 1k and 2 k which are mild.

However, your right ear will compensate so there would not be much problem in communication. Regarding tinnitus, you can consult an audiologist for TRT, which is called tinnitus retraining therapy from where you might get some results for tinnitus. If you want, you can ask an otolaryngologist for low-frequency hearing loss for further treatment. If your tinnitus is reduced, you will hear much better.

|