Q. My left ear test result showed a moderate high-frequency hearing loss. Should I get a hearing aid?

Dr. Anuja Rajendra Sonawane
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 06, 2021

I am 23 years old female who is 170.18 centimeters and 113 kilograms. I participated in an auditory processing research study virtually, and I got my hearing tested and showed some high-frequency hearing loss. It showed my right ear was normal, but my left ear showed moderate high-frequency hearing loss (at 4,000Hz and higher). The hearing aid specialist who did the test said that I would not need hearing aids but should see an ENT to see if any physical problems are causing my hearing loss. I have really been struggling to talk on the phone with people, have a hard time talking to people in crowded or noisy rooms, and frequently ask my husband to repeat what women say. Does this mean I should get a hearing aid?

#

I saw your audiogram. So as you can see, the hearing has been marked over various loud levels. Your threshold till 4 k are well in the normal range. A lot of people do get a dip at high-frequency areas of 6 k and 8 k, but the main area responsible for hearing and understanding lies from 500 to 4 k, which are all in the normal range. You have a moderate loss of 6 k, which does not affect the hearing much. Even the normals do get problems in understanding speech or listening. If you think, why were you not given hearing aids? The reason is if the audiologist gives you a hearing aid at this hearing level, there might be two problems. First, the gain will be too much for you, and it can damage your hearing, and if you still wear it, you will have a lot of problems adjusting. As you have normal hearing, it can irritate, make you uncomfortable and too loud for you to bear, and give you headaches and make you feel dizzy. I hope you get answers to your questions.

|