Q. My teeth are crooked after using retainers only at night. Should I get braces again?

Dr. Prerna Jain
Published on Aug 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

One of my teeth started moving backward as soon as I started wearing my retainer just at night. It got painful to put the retainer back in, and so I stopped wearing it. I am terrified of orthodontists and dentists, and so did not let my orthodontist know. Now, two of my teeth has moved backwards and a couple are slightly crooked. Should I get braces again or is there another option for this?

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentistry Orthodontist
#

To correct the relapse of orthodontic treatment, there are two options. It depends on how much tooth movement is required.

1. If it is one or two teeth requiring 1 mm or less tooth movement, an active retainer can be given.
  2. If it is more teeth or a greater amount of tooth movement in a complex multidimensional movement, you will require braces. Braces are also available in esthetic options like aligners.

For more information consult an orthodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthodontist

I have started to get space between teeth after orthodontic treatment. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I had braces on my teeth when I was 15 years old. Now I am 24 and I can see a lot of gaps developing between my teeth. Should I put on braces again or is there any alternative option that I should choose?  Read Full »

Will other teeth shift if I get a tooth removed for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a misalignment and mild crowding of teeth in upper jaw and have bite issues. I have consulted a maxillofacial surgeon and advised tooth removal prior to braces and removed upper left tooth, probably molar tooth, and advised to consult orthodontist for braces. I want to know whe...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthodontist Now