Q. I have severe pain after a deep cavity filling. What is wrong?

Dr. Asma Parveen
Published on Oct 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

Hello doctor,

I had a deep cavity filled about five weeks ago. I had extreme sensitivity to cold since it was filled. I had no other pain associated with the tooth. Biting down was completely fine. Two nights ago, I started to get extreme pain on the right side of my face and jaw (the same side the cavity was filled). It was keeping me up all night. The next morning, the cold sensitivity was completely gone, but the extreme pain on the right side of my face and jaw would come and go. Later in the day, I flossed, and the tooth associated with the cavity started bleeding. Now, it hurts extremely bad to bite down on that tooth (where the filling took place and where I flossed). The throbbing pain on the right side of my face is occurring more frequently but still, comes and goes. I have a root canal scheduled for next week on that tooth, but is that what is wrong? Why did the pain change from cold sensitivity to this completely different type of pain over night? I do not think I can deal with this pain for another week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#

• After going through your complaint, it looks like a condition called as acute irreversible pulpitis, where caries reaches the pulp or nerve endings of the tooth.
  • This is very common in cases of deep cavities. So, there is no need to worry. It can be treated through a root canal treatment.
  • Just avoid sleeping on the affected side and eating too cold or too hot food.

Hopefully, this helps you. Regards.

For further queries consult a dentist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

My 2 year old son's teeth are exposed and are sensitive. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have a 2 year old son, who was born through a c-section. One out of his six teeth is actively disintegrating. The enamel has come off, and the inner part of the tooth is exposed and sensitive to cold drinks. What should I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Honey Arora
Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms look like that of an early childhood caries (nursing bottle caries), which is commonly due to more sweet in the baby's diet and poor maintenance of oral hygiene. I would suggest you take an OPG (orthopantomography), an x-ray of all the teeth. The treatment...  Read Full

Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions. Can RCT be done for such a small child? Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age? Is there any alternate for RCT ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent...  Read Full

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If the cavity is deep, the root canal treatment is necessary to save it. Else, it will have to be pulled out later. If it is not too deep then you should ask him whether first a temporary filling can be given and if there is no pain even after one month, it can be re...  Read Full