Q. Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions.

• Can RCT be done for such a small child?
  • Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age?
  • Is there any alternate for RCT available as he is least cooperating?
  • The doctors are saying that general anaesthesia will be needed for RCT. Is it safe?
#

If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated.

You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months.

Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent further cavities.

In small children, proper root canal treatment need not be done but a procedure called pulpectomy can be done to give relief for a few years.

For more information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

|