Q. Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Feb 03, 2018

My 2-1/2-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions.

• Can RCT be done for such a small child?
  • Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age?
  • Is there any alternate for RCT available as he is least cooperating?
  • The doctors are saying that general anaesthesia will be needed for RCT. Is it safe?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated.

You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months.

Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent further cavities.

In small children, proper root canal treatment need not be done but a procedure called pulpectomy can be done to give relief for a few years.

For more information consult a pedodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pedodontist

Do I need a root canal if there is no pain?

Query: Hello doctor,Approximately one year back, my left chewing tooth got a small hole due to something which I bit. So, that became a tooth decay, over there it looks black. I recently consulted a dentist. So, he suggested a root canal but I do not have any pain nor loose of teeth and also I am afraid of...  Read Full »

My 4 year old daughter's tooth is infected and paining. Is it necessary to get it extracted?

Query: Hello doctor,My 4 year old daughter got a cavity filled a month back. But now, she is complaining that the same tooth is paining, and there is a big swelling around the infected tooth. So, we went to the dentist, who gave her antibiotics for seven days. He wants to extract the infected tooth, and he...  Read Full »

How to save a tooth with gum abscess in a 3 year old?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a child who is three years old. He has an abscess on his gums above his front tooth. X-rays are taken, and the dentist wants to pull out the tooth. He says that the roots are gone. So there is no need to keep it. The tooth appears perfect when you look. Is it possible to give him ...  Read Full »

Ask a Pedodontist Now