Q. Can root canal treatment be done on a small kid?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 27, 2022

My 2and a half-year-old son has a problem with four teeth (front, above) and doctors are suggesting RCT (root canal treatment). Here are my questions.

1. Can RCT be done for such a small child?
  2. Will it affect his next teeth at around 7 years of age?
  3. Is there any alternate for RCT available as he is least cooperating?
  4. The doctors are saying that general anaesthesia will be needed for RCT. Is it safe?
#

If he is not cooperating then root canal treatment is very difficult for him and he would need to be sedated. You can delay the treatment by taking antibiotics and paracetamol for a week. This will give relief for some months. Also, use a good toothpaste to prevent further cavities. In small children, proper root canal treatment need not be done but a procedure called pulpectomy can be done to give relief for a few years.

|