Q. What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.

#

• You have mentioned that you are 28 years of age and have continuous lower back pain which I think is not responding to the medications and conservative management.
  • Normally at this age, conservative management in the form of anti-inflammatory medications, intensive physical therapy and adequate calcium and vitamin D intake should be fine.
  • But, if it is not responding to this treatment protocol then there are options available depending upon the pain and facetal hypertrophy.
  • So, we can give facet joint injections, radiofrequency ablation of facets and if that also does not help then a fusion surgery is done.
  • But, a fair trial of conservative management usually should be sufficient at your age.
  • Also, if you can send me the relevant MRI images and x-rays, I can then have a look at them and then get back to you accordingly.

Degenerative disc disease.

MRI spine and x-rays of the affected part of spine.

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

| 

Can vitamin D3 deficiency cause pain in different parts of my body?

Query: Hi, I am a 41 year old male weighing 79 kg. I have vitamin D3 deficiency for the past two years and for which I had Vitamin D3 tablets for three months. Since one year I have pain in my arms, fingers and many parts of the body. Please go through my attached test reports and advice some treatme...  Read Full »

I am having heel pain and inflammation from stepping on a nail head.Is this due to a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments?

Query: Hello doctor, I stepped on the head of a nail a week ago. Now, every time I step on that part of my heel, I get this sharp, searing and burning feeling. Is this a bone contusion or did I damage any ligaments? What happened? Thank you for giving me an audience; it's extremely appreciated.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now