Q. What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.

#

• You have mentioned that you are 28 years of age and have continuous lower back pain which I think is not responding to the medications and conservative management.
  • Normally at this age, conservative management in the form of anti-inflammatory medications, intensive physical therapy and adequate calcium and vitamin D intake should be fine.
  • But, if it is not responding to this treatment protocol then there are options available depending upon the pain and facetal hypertrophy.
  • So, we can give facet joint injections, radiofrequency ablation of facets and if that also does not help then a fusion surgery is done.
  • But, a fair trial of conservative management usually should be sufficient at your age.
  • Also, if you can send me the relevant MRI images and x-rays, I can then have a look at them and then get back to you accordingly.

Degenerative disc disease.

MRI spine and x-rays of the affected part of spine.

Revert back with the reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|